Friday, February 04, 2011

Super Bowl Memories

I was born in November 1983.

A shame that at 4 1/2, I wasn't old enough to make lasting memories of the March 1988 Final Four. KU won the Final Four in Kansas City. And there I was, oblivious to it all.

At barely over 5, I have no memory of a classic Joe Montana Super Bowl drive.

My first Super Bowl memory is from January 1990: Super Bowl XXIV. I was in the First Grade. I remember my family watched the game next door, on our neighbor's projection big-screen tv. I remember the best part was Bud Bowl (which was actually Bud Bowl II). And I remember thinking that it was kind of silly for everyone to make a big deal out of a game that turned out not be close at all: 49ers over Broncos, 55-10.

January 1991: Second Grade. The Wide Right Game. I think this was the game where I got sick and threw up at someone's house. I missed the next day at school and people thought that I must have been travelling back from Florida. Kids imagine things so easily. I have no memories of the actual game.

January 1992: Third Grade. Another game that I really don't remember anything about. What I do remember is that by the summer of 1992, I loved the NFL so much that I bought this sticker album, and then bought packs and packs of stickers to put in them. This was better than buying football cards to me, because it involved collecting a specific set and you could see how much progress I made.


What I remember about this Super Bowl, is that they had 4 stickers specific to SB26. So that's how I learned the name Mark Rypien. This and my collection of mini-helmets that I must have poured over 10 bucks in quarters into grocery store vending machines to finish--that's how I spent 3rd and 4th grade.

January 1993: Fourth Grade. I remember this game. I thought it was a huge deal that Beebe knocked the ball out of Lett's hand. But the Cowboys won the game 52-17, so really, who cares? More so, I remember watching the Frank Reich comeback against the Oilers live. What a game.

January 1994: Fifth Grade. This was my first Super Bowl in Peoria. I remember watching the NBA Finals when I had just moved to Illinois in June 1993. But this game? Meh.

January 1995: Sixth Grade. Middle school was such a wasteland. Why don't I remember any of this?

January 1996: Seventh Grade. Super Bowl 30. Cowboys vs Steelers. What a tasty matchup. Seriously, I have only vague recollection of Neil O'Donnell.

January 1997: Eight Grade. Packers over the Patriots. I remember Brett Favre. That's it.

January 1998: Freshman, High School. Broncos over Packers. Elway. I have a terrible memory apparently.

January 1999: Sophomore, High School. Broncos over Falcons. Okay, this one I went to a party at my friend Brian's house. I remember people were watching Celebrity Deathmatch during halftime on MTV. I don't know that we watched the game that closely.

January 2000: Junior, High School. I don't know where I watched it, but this was the first Super Bowl that I remember thinking was a great game. The Titans tied the game, and then on the very next play, boom, Rams touchdown. And then the ending one yard short. A classic.

January 2001: Senior, High School. This one was stupid. I was working at Bellacino's my senior year and because I'm an idiot, I never thought about the Super Bowl approaching. I didn't realize that I might have to work during the game until about a week or two before. Everyone else who cared had asked for the day off weeks in advance. So I was stuck at a pizza/sandwich shop working during this game. While all my friends were at a party, I listened to it on the radio. Yep. That's how lame it was. And without streaming video the way we have it now, who knows if I even saw highlights. Maybe on SportsCenter if I made it home in time.

February 2002: Freshman, College. I know we watched this in One North. I can't remember which room, I know I was in my own room for a bit. I remember having two Mike's Hard Lemonades and getting a headache. Great game though. Patriots over Rams, still just months after 9/11.

January 2003: Sophomore, College. For this one, we gathered about 12 people into room 194 (Kirat & Niraj). I was sitting with Brittany on the floor. I had a 2-liter of soda in a giant novelty glass. I know that I was rooting against the Raiders and happy with the outcome. I also remember that someone spilled something and the floor got sticky.

February 2004: Junior, College. This was a great game, great setting. We were in our apartment on Lincoln, in the Dave-Kirat-Savan-Matt living room. This was our first apartment Super Bowl and I remember lots of food. Buffalo wings, poppers, the whole deal. There was the Janet Jackson nip-slip, and the great game that came down to the final second.

February 2005: Senior, College. Over on Bash Court, someone had rented a projector in Kirat-Savan-Matt's apartment. Another good game, Pats over Eagles. I had to leave for a while during the game to drop Brit off at the Amtrak station in Champaign--she was student teaching in Chicago and had to get back that night.

February 2006: First year in Chicago. I had a Super Bowl party at Brit's apartment. It was the first year that I combined wings and smokies in a barbecue crock pot. Also the first year for my predictions ballot. It was a good time, thought it was on a small TV. Matt won a fantasy contest for the first time.

February 2007: The Bears were in the Super Bowl. Brit and I just stayed at home, not wanting to be surrounded by Bears fans.

February 2008: Burnsy/Rishi hosted a sweet party at their place on Honore. We connected with Mark on Skype. And I was rooting against the 18-0 Pats, and completely shocked that they lost. I took my crock pot on the road and took the number of meats to a new level.

February 2009: Burnsy hosted again, this time from his new place on Milwaukee. Another fantastic game that came down to the wire. Springsteen. MC Hammer was in a Cash4Gold commercial. Burnsy made this sweet football-shaped ice mold. I believe there was a nacho bar with homemade melted queso.

February 2010: Since the Saints were in it, Brit and I wanted to stay at home and root on New Orleans. And then Brit's parents came up to watch the game. We ordered in a deep dish pizza and it was yet another incredible game. This was our first Super Bowl in Oak Park.

February 2011: Brit and I will be taking it easy again. Tasty matchup. Probably won't go crazy with the food either. Will this be my last one in Illinois--a streak dating back to January 1994?

No comments:

Post a Comment