Thursday, September 27, 2012

balance

I want to do everything. But I don't have the time. People usually say that they don't have time for certain things, or that they wish they had more time. I'm going to breakdown my current situation.

Here's a list of everything that I want to do, broken into tiers:

Things That Come First
trying to be a good father and husband
trying to be a good copywriter

Things That Fight For My Free Time
designing book covers
watching TV/playing video games
writing personal projects
sleep

Things That Get Left Out Completely
eating healthy/getting in shape

Here's a basic workday:
Work + commute = 9.5 hours
Father time = 4.5 hours
Sleep (in chunks) = ideally 7 hours

That leaves 3 hours.
In that time I'd like to do book covers, watch tv and play games, and do personal writing. But there's also some basic cleaning, cooking, whatever.
Sometimes it's bedtime and I have to choose between playing a video game or going to sleep. Sometimes I have plans to work on something at home and Brit wants to watch a movie. So I don't usually get to do everything I want in that middle tier.

Which leaves the bottom tier in the cold. It's not that eating healthy takes up more time. It's just that I'm sort of burning the candle at both ends and not in the mood to be hungry or settle for healthy food. And I would feel better if I made the time to play sports/work out, but I just don't do it. That's an inspiring slogan.

No comments:

Post a Comment