Friday, November 09, 2012

Brit's Fantasy Football and Advanced Probability

Brit is in an 8-team fantasy football league. If every team played every team every week, these would be their records:

Possum 44-19
Brit 38-25
lily 36-27
Bellabloo 30-33
Colts 29-34
Lauren 29-34
Texan 28-35
Chad 18-45

Not bad. A solid second place.

So what are the standings through 9 weeks?



Possum is where you'd expect, but Brit and Lily drop 4 and 5 spots. Lauren, a team with a losing record in totality, is 6-3, just one game off the leader.

So what are the odds of a 38-25 team having a 3-6 record after nine games?

I tried to figure it out. I really did. And got stumped. So I asked reddit.com/r/math

And their answers were way over my head:



I have no idea what to do with that. Other than to say it's probably around 8 or 9%.

For the record, here is her roster this week:



Steven Jackson, Harvin, Sproles, Eli all on the bench. I think Big Ben and Heath go bananas on the Chiefs D. Todd Haley running up the score.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe your household just wasn't meant for fantasy.

    Also, the only good thing about yahoo's fantasy site is the weekly recap of the match up.

    ReplyDelete