Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Best Sitcoms

About a week ago, before I saw this, I was thinking in my head about my favorite comedy shows. It was inspired by the ending of 30 Rock and the possible end of Community.

My thoughts were thus:

Seinfeld and Simpsons were the two shows from my childhood (pre-college) that have shaped and defined my sense of humor.

Arrested Development, 30 Rock and Community are the best comedies post-2000.


Pre-2000
1. Seinfeld
2. Simpsons

I give Seinfeld the nod because the Simpsons dropped off. Seinfeld knew to leave at a high point.

Post-2000

1. AD
2. Community?
3 30 Rock?

Not sure about that.

If I had to make a total ranking...it might be this:

1. AD
2. Seinfeld
3. Community
4. 30 Rock
5. Simpsons

2 comments:

  1. I've argued about this with my old roommate over here. Both of us are big fans of Arrested Development and Seinfeld. While AD has more laughs per minute, Seinfeld was so groundbreaking and contributed a lot to common speech.

    However, the thing that really pushed Seinfeld ahead for both of us was the longevity. AD is like Koufax. Seinfeld is like Cy Young. But since I know you don't like baseball, Koufax had some of the greatest seasons of all time for a pitcher, but had a short career because of injury (stupid networks in AD's case). Cy Young came first and won the most number of games in history. He's the guy the award is named after. Who knows what Koufax/AD could have accomplished if their careers would have been able to go the proper length?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's super close. And I can't fault anyone for saying Seinfeld is #1. But I give the nod to AD because it was solid from the get-go. It took Seinfeld a couple years to find it's groove.

    ReplyDelete