Friday, May 24, 2013

Coach Roy

I think you had to do it. I'm excited.

I'll back up a little bit. The Avs now with Joe Sakic in charge of personnel and the #1 pick this summer (destined to be a defenseman named Seth Jones) needed a new coach. After seeing Stastny and other Avs come to life in the worlds, it became even more obvious that our players aren't that bad.

Possible candidates included Patrick Roy, Lindy Ruff, Dallas Eakins, and Guy Boucher. Many thought that this young team needed a coach with lots of NHL experience. And Roy doesn't have any. He's been coaching in the minors for 8 years and had success, but this is his first NHL gig.

I think this was the call you had to make. Because I think Roy could be hockey's version of Jim Harbaugh.

I think the other coaching candidates were solid. But Roy is that X-factor. He may need some time. But I think that he has the highest upside. He could galvanize this team into something special in a few years. And most importantly, if your goalie becomes lights out, you can beat anyone. And I figure who can coach Varlamov or other goalies better than Roy?

So yeah, I'm excited. Sakic and Roy back together. Let's do this.




No comments:

Post a Comment