Sunday, November 30, 2014

Chiefs-Broncos liveblog

Final: For the record, I saw every play. Even when I knew there was no hope of winning, I kept watching to see if they would make a play or do anything. The Chiefs are 0-6 against Peyton as a Bronco. Not much else to say.

4th quarter, 6:01: So when I said it's 4th down territory the rest of the way, I guess that doesn't include 4th and 25 from your own ass. I will not be wearing a Chiefs shirt tomorrow.

4th quarter, 7:33: H is in bed. Chiefs hold Denver to a field goal. That's five times the Broncos have gotten inside the 25 and settled for three points. A good game from the Chiefs offense and they'd be in this game. So now it's 29-16 with over 7 minutes to play. The only path to win this game is clear. Score two touchdowns. Don't let Denver score again. Win 30-29. It is so clear. Make it happen.

4th quarter, 10:14: And a huge gain to Sanders. Christ. Denver's already down to the Chiefs 22. A Denver touchdown ends the game.

4th quarter, 10:20: 3rd and 7 for the Broncos...every 3rd down is huge from here on out.

4th quarter, 11:46: Incredible drive by the Chiefs, including a late hit by Von Miller on Alex Smith, that looked like it really hurt. Don't get the two-point conversion so it's 26-16. Two scores and the Broncos have the ball. Need a pick. Or a fumble sack. Something.

4th quarter, 14:36: I still have to put H down for the night. Last time I put a kid down, the Chiefs forced a Manning fumble. Seriously thinking about when to deploy my last "bullet in the chamber."

4th quarter, 14:48: Another big stop by the Chiefs D. Broncos settle for their 4th short field goal of the night. Impressed with keeping them out of the end zone, but now it's a 16-point game. Chiefs will realistically have to score 3 times in the 4th. Which means scoring on every drive, which means 4 down territory from here on out. No margin for error. And there's been a lot of error tonight. 

3rd quarter, 2:53: I just don't believe it. Chiefs force a 3 and out. Broncos shank a punt and it bounces off the Chiefs DB covering the gunner. Bounces right into the hands of the Broncos gunner. The biggest thing when you play the Broncos is getting their offense off the field...and we've seen them convert a 4th and 7 fake punt, and now a punt get accidentally touched. To beat Denver, you need to play your best game. This is not it. I don't see how they come back from this.

3rd quarter, 5:00: Yardage: Broncos 279, Chiefs 69. TOP: Broncos 28 minutes, Chiefs 12 minutes. And the Chiefs go 3 and out.

3rd quarter, 6:13: DAT (De'Anthony Thomas) with a great return out to the 35. There was a good second or two where I believed he had a touchdown. Good returns all game. Still waiting for that big one. I believe it could happen this game.

3rd quarter, 6:20: BIG STOP. Broncos only gain 2 yards, settle for field goal. 23-10. Two touchdowns away from the lead. Get one on this drive and we've got a ball game. I want to say that I believe, but for now I'll just say...it's possible.

3rd quarter, 7:14: I just commandeered the TV. First play on the big screen: tipped pass, interception. Broncos have it at the Chiefs 13. For fuck's sake.

3rd quarter: 7:23: Broncos punt for 28 yards. Chiefs take over, down 10. Score anything and cut it to a one score game. C'mon Chiefs.

3rd quarter, 9:00: I have this vision of my wearing a Chiefs shirt to work the day after the Chiefs beat the Broncos. I've never been able to do this.

3rd quarter, 10:00: Broncos are driving again, but it's just a 10 point game. Feeling stupidly optimistic.



3rd quarter: 12:43: I successfully put down G. I come down and I see it's 4th and 8 for the Chiefs? I see the replay of a missed attempt to Bowe. And then I see Santos make it a 20-10 game.

Halftime: I've got two kids awake. I can try and put down G now but I'll probably going to miss some of the game no matter what.

Halftime: 20-7. Big stop on that drive to hold them to a field goal. Could be worse. Broncos could easily have 28 points. Any chance we get the interception-prone Manning to start the 2nd half? If the Chiefs D could get a stop to start, and then the Chiefs get a touchdown it's only a 6-point game. There are some ifs in that sentence, but hey, that's what being a fan is like.

2nd quarter, :23: The Broncos are out of timeouts. Maybe time for a sack?

2nd quarter, 1:00: Remember in the Super Bowl when the ball was snapped right by Manning? That would be nice.

2nd quarter, 1:55: I don't like Peyton Manning.

2nd quarter, 3:02 remaining: Chiefs just scored to make it 17-7. Have shaved 4 points off the lead since I last posted. At this rate Chiefs will win 35-29.

3 minutes before half and Broncos get ball to start. 2 big possessions. Worst case, could be 31-7 before Chiefs see ball again.

Also, this happened before I started liveblogging, but the Broncos finally punted for the first time, Chiefs were going to take over on their own 9. But penalty on the Broncos. So on a 4th and 7, seemingly about to repunt, the Broncos fake punt run and convert. They end up driving to the 4 and getting a field goal. That was infuriating. After they converted, I wished we had the option of declining the penalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment