Friday, December 09, 2016

Raiders at Chiefs: I Was There at Arctic Arrowhead

I bought my ticket after week 1. The Chiefs and Raiders were both 1-0. My first night game at Arrowhead. I hoped it would have playoff implications. I assumed it would be in the 40s or 50s.

I booked a flight and a hotel for the trip, because those are things you would typically use. But I didn't use either. I drove my car. And on Wednesday I signed a lease on an apartment, becoming a Kansas City resident again, over 23 years since I left. Thursday I arrived at Arrowhead, not on vacation like I've done the last 5 times. This time, I was home.



Holy shit, it was cold.

They opened the gates at noon. There was a line of cars waiting. I heard people starting arriving at 8 in the morning. I had a 4 o'clock meeting and arrived at the stadium around 5:15. As soon as I stepped out of the car, I knew the cold was going to be a problem. I was wearing 5 shirts and 4 pairs of socks. But it wasn't going to be enough. I walked up the stadium eager to get inside, browse the Hall of Honor and warm up before kickoff. The gates are locked. I hear a security guard say they won't open until 6. That half-hour was brutal. I walked around just to stay warm but it didn't really help. Eventually I lined up. It took forever to get to 6. But even once they opened the gates, my line was molasses. Eventually at 6:15 I gave up and switched lines and was inside 5 minutes later.



By the time I get up the concourse ramps, it's 6:30. Pregame intro stuff will start at 7. So I didn't really have time to go searching for the Hall of Honor. Instead I bought some Jack Stack burnt ends outside gate 326. I ate them in the exposed air and was really weird eating something so warm in such a cold place. Burnt ends were just okay. I duck into an elevator vestibule to warm up. I decide to get a spiked hot chocolate and head to my seat.

The crowd would eventually be full, but even during pregame intros it was a little thin. I really wanted to get a shot of the flames going off. So I took a video and just now was able to pause and screenshot. Really happy with this.



Between the cold and the night game and the spectacle of the whole thing and moving here, I forgot for a minute what's on the line for this game. In the moment, it just feels like I hope they get a first down here, or get a stop here. But yeah, first place and the all-important bye + home game could be swung by this game. Easily the most important game I've ever been to.

The game starts and the Raiders go 3 and out. You're thinking how cold it is that it's going to be hard for either team to do anything. It might be a 7-10 game. They punt it away to Tyreek Hill and the crowd is geared up. And Tyreek muffs it. The ball is a frozen rock. Raiders get the ball at the KC 38. We're all deflated in the crowd.

I think to myself, "This is one of those games. Where there's going to be mistakes and drops and the game could be decided on one of those."

The Chiefs defense goes back and and stops them again. The Raiders get 3 points on a field goal but couldn't move the ball.

I should add before the field goal, it looked like Cooper caught a pass, fumbled, recovered by the Chiefs. That was the call on the field, and I watched the replay. I don't think there's conclusive evidence that he never had control. This was the first call that went the Raiders way.

At some point I notice that everyone is still standing. We were standing for the pregame anthem and everything and then no one sat down. It was like a college atmosphere. (Also, the seats were cold.)

Chiefs get the ball and face a 3rd and 10. And this game manager fires a deep shot to Chris Conley who makes the catch for a 39 yard game. Later it's 4th and 1 on the OAK 27 and Reid calls a Spencer Ware run. Looks like get got it but a short spot says turnover on downs. Another call goes the Raiders way.

A couple of punts go by and the first quarter ends with the Raiders up 3-0. They have passing and rushing stats on the scoreboard and I can see the Chiefs are up about 100 yards with nothing to show for it. Our offense was moving the ball better than theirs but because of the turnover, the Raiders have the lead.

But then Alex Smith fires another deep ball to Tyreek Hill running a post route. Steps up in the pocket, perfect throw, perfect catch.



It's 7-3 and I can relax for a second. No longer haunted by the muffed punt.

On the next series, the Chiefs get the first call to go their way. Carr scrambles on 3rd down and stretches the ball as he runs out of bounds but they call it 4th and 1.

There was a beautiful sequence on the ensuing drive. On a 1st and 20, Alex Smith scrambles, seemingly crosses the line of scrimmage than backpedals before firing the ball to Conley who runs for a 31-yard game. No flag is thrown. Someone on the field (possibly Kelce) signals to Alex to do a hurry-up to prevent a Raiders challenge. It takes the Chiefs about 15 seconds to run down the field and get up to snap the ball. Not only do the get the ball off without a Raiders challenge, but Khalil Mack is taking his sweet time walking down the field and is 10 yards offside.

Just beautiful awareness from the Chiefs and a lack of awareness by the Raiders. You know what it reminded me of? The last time Khalil Mack was 10 yards offside. Look at this shit from two years ago.

For the record, it was a good call by the officials as Smith's feet crossed the line of scrimmage but not his body. Linesman was in the perfect spot to call it:



A few plays later Chiefs would convert for a touchdown and it's 14-3. Arrowhead is feeling it. Feeling it so much that the Raiders start the drive with a false start. 1st and 15. They go 3 and out and punt to Tyreek Hill.

He's got that Dante Hall in him where he thinks he can break any return. He takes a punt, dances around and ends up losing 4 yards on the return. But there's a flag on the sideline. I notice it immediately. It seems to take the officials a minute or two to get around to acknowledging there was a penalty.

Reid has a choice. Add the 5 yards to the spot taking the ball at the 35 or rekick. He chooses rekick.

Returns are the most exciting play to see live. The Chiefs have had some good ones from Dante Hall's incredible streak to McCluster's TD on the opening night of New Arrowhead to Knile Davis opening the playoff win last year with a TD. But Tyreek might even be better than Dante Hall. So it makes sense that the crowd loves Tyreek Hill the player. (Not his incident off the field of course. It has to be said, by law any time you talk about Hill.) The crowd starts chanting Ty-reek, Ty-reek. We knew he had it in him. Here's what it sounded like if you turn your speakers up to 20.

And wouldn't you know that penalty proved costly. Tyreek Hill gets his second touchdown of the night and it's 21-3 in the second quarter.

In my head I start thinking greedy. I want there to be no doubt who the better team is. I'm thinking this could be 42-10.

Just the second play after Arrowhead was going ballistic, Derrick Johnson goes down with a non-contact injury. Fuck. Almost immediately we get word on the phone that it's an Achilles. Done for the year.

Players are taking knees and praying.

To this point, the Raiders hadn't moved the ball at all. But sure enough, that drive they get at TD right before halftime. 21-10. We've got a game again.

Even though it's a tremendous game, it's so cold that it's hard to enjoy it. At least, it's hard to forget about the cold. At halftime I buy a Chiefs Steak (burnt end cheesesteak) just to try and warm up. I figure something warm inside plus digestion would help. I go back to the elevator vestibule and the secret is out. We've got over 50 people crammed into this hallway.

Before I know it, halftime is over. Didn't really warm up at all. As I'm climbing up the steps to my seat, the crowd groans. I wasn't even looking when Alex through the pick. Raiders start inside the red zone but can't move the ball. Settle for 3. 21-13. One possession game. So much for the blowout I wanted.

Very next play. Khalil Mack strip sack. Turns out he does more than get offside penalties. Fuck. Again, the defense holds strong and forces a field goal attempt. But King can't get the snap down. He tries to run but nowhere to go. Turnover on downs. What a break.

Both teams would exchange punts. On 4th and 1 from the OAK 42, Reid sends in the power formation. Having already been denied once, the crowd is pumped to see him go for it again. But instantly I see the motion and realize this is just trying to draw them offside. The punt is downed at the 15, gaining 27 yards of field position by abandoning a chance to score.

In the 4th quarter, Chiefs force yet another punt and get the ball at midfield with 9 minutes to go, up 8. Just a field goal makes it a two possession game with under 8 to play. Just get a field goal. Or on 3rd and 10 Smith can throw a 4-yard pass. Come on. This is what drives fans nuts. He can make all the throws but then so often won't throw the ball to the sticks. Should mention this is also on Reid's playcalling, not just Smith.

So Raiders get the ball with everything on the line. They need to go 85 yards for a TD + 2 point conversion. Just like the Chiefs did in Denver not too long ago. 7 minutes to go.

On 1st and 10 from their 39, Carr throws it toward Crabtree who is well-covered by Nelson. And the refs call pass interference. I'm just going to say it: That call was baloney!

With 3 minutes left, the Raiders face a 4th and 4. Arrowhead is rocking. And the Raiders convert.

Very next set of downs. 3rd and 1 from the KC 14. Incomplete. 4th and 1. They've been running well ever since Johnson got sidelined. Arrowhead ramps it up for 4th down...and it's a false start. So now it's 4th and 6. Carr goes to the air and...


Terrance Mitchell swats it away. Turnover on downs.

But the Raiders have 2 timeouts. Chiefs need a first down to seal the deal. 3rd and 2. Two yards to glory. And Spencer Ware comes up with it! Exactly two yards. Bring on Victory Formation. Holy shit.

Sweet Christ, I'm frozen at this point.

- - -

As I'm walking out, the importance of the game really hits you. The idea that Chiefs could get that bye and guarantee a playoff game at Arrowhead! The last two playoff games at Arrowhead were 2010 and 2003, both losses.

- - -

Drives for the Raiders
3 (punt)
12 (FG)
-3 (punt)
6 (punt)
9 (punt)
-2 (punt)
92 (TD after Johnson injured)
halftime
4 (FG)
-2 (botched FG snap)
11 (punt)
26 (punt)
15 (punt)
66 (turnover on downs)

Drives for the Chiefs
48 (turnover on downs)
21 (punt)
70 (TD - pass to Hill)
78 (TD - run by West)
(TD - Hill punt return)
halftime
5 (INT)
-6 (fumble)
25 (punt)
15 (punt)
49 (punt)
4 (punt)
10 (victory formation)

Chiefs were moving the ball better than the Raiders all game. Chiefs D was incredible holding the Raiders to 6 points after 3 turnovers in KC territory. The Chiefs win by winning the turnover battle. This game they lost that 0-3 and were in control of most of the game.

- - -

9-game winning streak against AFC West opponents.
5-game winning streak against the Raiders.
Even broke the Al Michaels curse.

Good times to be in Kansas City.

1 comment:

  1. No mention of the importance of this win for the Burger Bet (tm)?

    Good write-up

    ReplyDelete