Thursday, February 22, 2018

Re-ordering 311's From Chaos

311 released their 6th album From Chaos in June 2001. It's a pretty good album. There's something that's always bugged me. Over 16 years later, I finally did what I've always thought about. Putting the tracks in proper order.

Here's my re-ordered From Chaos:



For comparison, here's the official track order:


Why did I do this, for the first time in my life, for this specific album? 90% of it is the title track. Simply put, the way this track opens with the drums immediately followed by the vocals, with a classic opening lyric...this is the perfect way to open an album. Within 5 seconds, you're into it. Here's the song I'm talking about, in case you've never heard it: From Chaos.

As I was moving tracks around, trying to figure out how to end it, I discovered a few things. Champagne, Uncalm, and I'll Be Here Awhile all have the same chill vibe that make for a nice  ending. Of the three Uncalm is more of a transition (half-rock, half-chill vibe) so I put that first. I'll Be Here Awhile is a good ending track, but of all the songs, there was nothing that could follow Champagne. Here's the last 40 seconds or so of that song, that is a proper ending for an album: Champagne

Amber also fits into the chill vibe section, but partly because it has so much radio nostalgia and partly because you need something to break up all the rock songs so it's not completely unbalanced, I moved that track up to the #4 spot.

So yeah, take a listen if you want and let me know what you think, if I've improved upon the studio release.

https://open.spotify.com/user/davefymbo/playlist/58CpFnEAkgs8jSdbPzydMH?si=OefbUeWxRwKb22IO15eNeA

No comments:

Post a Comment