Monday, October 07, 2019

Chiefs vs Colts: I Was There

I bought tickets to a Chiefs game for two primary reasons: I had never seen Mahomes play in person and I had a feeling this could be a Super Bowl year and I wanted to be able to say I went to a game in person during their Super Bowl run.

Well, couldn't have picked a worse one to go to.

Was the lowest points put up under a Mahomes offense and the loss is putting a serious question mark on this team's potential to make a Super Bowl run. But that will sort itself out.

I got there early because there were things that I wanted to see...

Before I could get park though, it took me 30 minutes after I scanned my parking pass to be routed along the outside stadium track. I used Gate 5 (Stadium Dr off 435) and I should avoid that in the future. Next time I should try Gate 4.

Eventually I did park, as you can see by the Royals right field entrance.




Inside I headed to the Chiefs Hall of Honor. Ever since I researched trophies and realized that there's exactly one trophy for every Super Bowl and the Chiefs display theirs from Super Bowl IV in the stadium, I knew I had to go.



The case and trophy itself are so reflective, it's hard to get a good shot. Especially one without my dumb fingers in it.



It's kind of funny, this whole drive to win a trophy, when there's one sitting right there, no? Hahaha.

From here I wanted to see how close I could get to the field, even though my seats were in the upper deck. Turns out, pretty close!



An hour before the game, no one is checking tickets. So I got to get along the front row and take pictures. Here's Butker #7 warming up.



#17 Mecole Hardman


Skycam


Instant Replay Booth


GM Brett Veach in the gray suit


Our run defense


Kelce and Sherman



Robinson and Hardman



And of course, from Texas Tech, QB1, Pat Mahomes



That was all super cool, but eventually I had to head up to my seats in the upper deck.



Good view of the field. Though I spent so much time in the lower deck that it felt like I was at a sharp angle downward. Guess that's on me. Also, I was in seat 3 and didn't realize that the railings would be a problem. Blocked some of the endzone, but if I leaned forward or stood up it was fine.



Sunday Night Football so they had a 6-man paratroop entrance.



It was here that I saw the best play I've ever seen live...




In the second quarter, my friends in Suite 231 texted me and told me to come over, so I watched the rest of the game from there.


I don't love the corner/endzone view as it's so hard to tell if a running play is successful. But maybe that was for the best.


Unfortunately I don't get to cross the Colts off the Hit List. And I got to sit in my car not moving for 40 minutes because the parking is just as bad leaving. Can't win 'em all.

1 comment:

  1. On the Mathieu INT, the camera was a little slow to pan over, so he really came out of nowhere to catch the ball. That and the TD to Pringle were some of the only highlights.

    ReplyDelete