Friday, October 29, 2021

the best stars i've ever seen

10.29.21

Tonight I saw the most beautiful sky of stars my eyes have ever seen. We’re halfway between Rhodes and Crete, not a light or landmass around us. The sky is dark black with streaks of navy, punctuated by dots of brightness, gleaming crystals in the night air. 

I have my phone that takes beautiful photos of stars. Here's an example of the night sky that I can get in Overland Park, with suburban light pollution.

But this sky, that I saw tonight? It's fifty times more impressive than the Overland Park sky. But I can’t show you what it looks like. 

Because we’re on a big boat halfway between Rhodes and Crete, and the entire ship rocks with each wave. Even with a makeshift tripod, and my phone being perfectly stationary relative to the boat, we’re not even close to being stationary relative to the sky. 

Here’s the best that I was able to capture. The very reason it’s so beautiful is the very reason I can’t get a clear photo. This sky will have to live in my memory and nowhere else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment