Monday, February 28, 2022

Daily Favorites: Mashed Potatoes


My favorite way to cook potatoes is my Twice Baked Potato Casserole (recipe in my cookbook.) It's got milk, cream cheese, butter and cheese in it. It's like more dairy than potatoes. A holiday winner every time. But clearly not a daily favorite. 

Last year, I made a healthy version of the twice-baked potato with a jalapeño popper flavor profile. The jalapeño turned bitter and the cream cheese got lost, but the rest of the technique is a winner. 

Since then I've made the dish again with a classic flavor profile, sometimes without the extra step in the oven. So when I was making it tonight, I figured I might as well post it. 

Tonight I peeled two potatoes, cut into chunks and boiled for 14 minutes. Then I mashed with about 60g of light sour cream and a drizzle of unsweetened almond milk. Seasoned with a combination of salt, pepper, ranch, onion powder and montreal chicken seasoning (which I call garlic+). 

I topped with a little cheese and sour cream but that was mainly for the photo. 

- - -

I did notice a few chunks/lumps of undercooked potato so I should probably just cook it for a few minutes more. It mashed easily but apparently wasn't 100% cooked through. Still tasty and hard to beat a tasty food that has more grams than calories. (100g of potato is 77 cals). 

Also, very filling. One potato is enough for me. We're talking roughly 350 cals, depending on size of the potato for a very filling dish. A little chicken on the side and that's a healthy dinner. 

It probably is a little better to go the extra step and do this recipe but put it in the oven, but still good if you don't. 

1 comment:

  1. Along the lines of your jalapeno attempt, some pico de gallo could really amp up the flavor without adding significant calories. Or some veggies like mushrooms, broccolini, etc

    ReplyDelete