Sunday, September 18, 2022

Threading the Needle

Mark and I play head to head in two fantasy leagues. 

One where we pick new players weekly, Eliminator. 
One where we draft players and keep them all season, Ironman. 

In Ironman, at this very moment, we're tied. We each have one player left on Monday Night Football, both Vikings. I've got Dalvin Cook and Mark has Justin Jefferson. Pretty simple, which ever Viking scores more, that's your winner.

In Eliminator, I'm up 7.5 points and I've got Buffalo's kicker Tyler Bass. But Mark has...wait for it...Dalvin Cook. 

- - -

So Mark needs Dalvin Cook to outscore Bass by more than 7.5 in one league. He also needs Jefferson to outscore Cook. A bad game by Bass and good game by Jefferson takes care of that. 

I need the opposite. I want Cook to outscore Jefferson but not outscore Bass by more than 7.5.

If Cook is trash or amazing, then each of us will win one game, and we'll both be okay with that. But if Cook is average, that opens the door for the possibility of either one of us threading the needle and going 2-0 this week. 

Update: 

Well Bass put up 12 for me and Jefferson only put up 7 for Mark. So the needle eye was open for me. 

If Cook put up 7.5 or more that would be enough for me to win Ironman. 
If Cook put up 19 or less that would be enough for me to win Eliminator. 

And there's a big sweet spot of 7.5 to 19 where I could win both. 

He put up 4 points. 

I won Eliminator by 15.5 and lost Ironman by 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment