Friday, May 09, 2008

nytimes sums it up nicely

From today's NYTimes:

"The United States needs a clean break from eight catastrophic years of George W. Bush. And so far, Senator John McCain is shaping up as Bush the Sequel — neverending war in Iraq, tax cuts for the rich while the middle class struggles, courts packed with right-wing activists intent on undoing decades of progress in civil rights, civil liberties and other vital areas."

Now that Obama's sewn up the nomination, it's on to comparing him vs McCain.

As I said before, I would have taken a guaranteed Clinton White House over a coin flip of McCain/Obama. I don't see how McCain helps us get it out of the mess we're in, in Iraq or with the economy.

After 8 reasonably good years of Bill Clinton, the country decided not to go with someone who share's his philosophies (Gore) and instead put a new party in office. Now after 8 unbelievably bad years of Bush, it amazes me that the country is considering going with someone who share's Bush's philosophies and not putting a new party in office--not coincidentally, the same party that gave us those 8 reasonably good years.

By the way, it will be interesting to see how much coverage McCain's crazy pastor gets after suffering through non-stop Wright coverage. (Of course I think it's pretty ridiculous that the opinions of people you're affiliated with can get attributed to you.)

For the record, I wrote on January 30th: "Last week, while talking to Mrs. Hoagie Central, I said that if Edwards dropped out before Super Tuesday, it would swing the whole thing to Obama."

On February 7th, I linked to an article "Why Obama has the upper hand" (which turned out to be right on)

And on March 6th I wrote: "I'm convinced that Obama will be the Dem. nominee and I'm reasonably sure that he will win the election as well. But I'm still nervous about that one."

Since I'm looking pretty good right now, I just wanted to go on the record as saying "Obama will be the 44th President of the United States."

And since I just saw the Seinfeld episode with "They're real and they're spectacular", I can't help but think, "He's going to win, and he's going to be great."

5 comments:

  1. "Now after 8 unbelievably bad years of Bush, it amazes me that the country is considering going with someone who share's Bush's philosophies and not putting a new party in office--not coincidentally, the same party that gave us those 8 reasonably good years."

    I think it's because a majority of the country doesn't feel like you do. And we live in democracies, so we're stuck with the governments that are elected, whether we like it or not. All we can do is our civic responsibility of voting for who we want to lead our country and live with the outcome.

    Lets say Obama wins and pulls the troops out of Iraq. Then there's a huge clusterf*ck of worse fighting and more bloodshed (but it won't be americans!) and it's fairly certain that we're not going to like who wins.

    Can we at least agree that the next president is going to have their hands full and won't have it easy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course the next president won't have any easy task in front of them.

    I know that 72% of American don't approve of the way Bush has handled things, and so it amazes me that people think McCain is the way to go.

    And because I like to stir the pot--in 2000, we didn't get the president that was elected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As dave's last comment mentioned, I think people still don't realize what impact that rating has really had, and it will only become apparent in November how many Republicans are voting Democrat because McCain would be Bush, the sequel.

    But I suspect it's a lot more than people think, and even if it's not, the last 2 elections were already close so it wouldn't take a lot of Republicans voting Democrat to tip the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but what about people like me who voted for kerry in '04, only to vote for mccain in '08?

    but my vote doesn't matter. it's obama's state. it'll come down to places like florida and ohio again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there's far fewer people moving that direction than the other one, and the media's been alluding to the increasing number of Reps voting Dem during these primaries. I just think we haven't seen the extent of that yet, but it'll probably surprise a lot of people.

    Also, 98% of the polls are stupid. I hate how much weight they put on the poll numbers when they don't have the facts yet when polls are often contradicting each other or showing emerging trends that are later shown to be non-existent. I'm sure there will be plenty of that with Obama and McCain. (Yes, Hillary is basically out of it but can't stop burning through cash pretending she's not)

    ReplyDelete