Monday, February 01, 2010

HOW TO: make a spicy-sweet chicken panini

I've alluded to this before, but love this sandwich recipe I've created so much, that I thought it deserved this post.

This sandwich was inspired by cuban sandwiches, that are made with pork, swiss cheese, pickles and mustard, and then pressed flat.

I've kicked it up a notch. (Incidentally, this was the first bread that I had in three weeks. I discovered that Pepperridge Farm makes a whole wheat bread without any non-earth ingredients.)

1. Lay two pieces of bread open. Spread one side with garlic mayo (easily made by stirring a significant amount of garlic powder in with mayonnaise) and "bread & butter sweet pickles."

2. Spread the other side with your favorite mustard (I like French's Honey) and sliced jalepenos.

3. Pile a layer of heated, roasted chicken (or roasted pork would work just as well) in the middle and assemble your two sides.

4. Time to press! You can go straight on to a panini press/George Foreman. But I know that my Foreman is "seasoned" with bits of crusted meat, salt, and pepper. Which is fine for grilling the chicken, but if I were to put this sandwich on my grill, the bread would absorb some blackened bits and not be good eats. So, in a flash of brilliance, I covered the sandwich in aluminum foil and grilled it for a few minutes.


If you don't have a machine and want to cook it in a skillet, you could, using some cooking spray. But you really need to press it down to get the full "cuban" effect of melding the ingredients into one cohesive taste.

The result is a sandwich that got the outside of the bread crispy, the inside soft (something a toaster couldn't do) and all the flavors combine into a delicious mix of sweet and spicy.


Plus, it's from the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment