Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fav Five: Illini Basketball

I'm going to switch things up for the Illini. Instead of picking my favorites on the current team, I'm going all-time.

My perspective isn't going to be as interesting as somebody else's. Because I am completely biased by my experience with the 2005 Illini. Of course it helps that they were the most accomplished team in the modern era.

So my list is going to favor that team and exclude players before my time...sorry Flying Illini. It sounds naive, but it's just true.

And I'm particularly going to favor the best game ever...Illinois vs Arizona in the Elite Eight. Let's count down.

5. Jack Ingram

Can you make the list for getting a finger tip on a ball? Yes. If that finger tip leads to a three-pointer that ties the game, capping the greatest comeback in tournament history,* and sends Illinois to the Final Four.

*may not be true, but close enough

4. Brandon Paul

After last year's Ohio State win and this year's Gonzaga win, I credit Brandon Paul with making Illinois basketball respectable again.

3. Luther Head

What can you say? Great player. Great shooter. Just wish he would have made one more shot.

2. Dee Brown

He was the face of the team. I will never get tired of hearing "Dee for Three."



1. Deron Williams

It's not that he is the best pro talent by a huge margin. It's not that he has the smoothest hands. He's #1 because he's clutch.



No comments:

Post a Comment