Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fav Five: Illini Football

Yikes. This could get rough. I decided to list my favorite players of my modern era. Red Grange and Butkus might go 1 and 2 otherwise, but I can't really compare them.

Players that didn't make the cut: Kurt Kittner, J Leman.

5. Mikel Leshoure

He owns the single season record for touchdowns and rushing yards. But I'll remember his 330 rushing yards against Northwestern in Wrigley Field.


4. Arrelious Benn

He was super good and I was there to watch him catch a 56-yard touchdown in the Rose Bowl (though that game wasn't nearly as close as the Sugar Bowl, which wasn't all that close to begin with).


3. Brandon Lloyd

I distinctly remember being there in Block I and having him come over and celebrate with us after the win. I slapped him on the chest pads. Burnsy stole his towel. He also scored a touchdown in the Sugar Bowl.


2. Rashard Mendenhall

Him ripping off a 79-yard touchdown run in the Rose Bowl was pretty special. And he has had two years (so far) of being excellent pro back as well.


1. Juice Williams

Some people think he didn't live up to expectations and remember subbing him out for Eddie McGee. Here's what I know. With him, Illinois beat Michigan in back to back seasons. And Illinois beat #1 Ohio State on the road to secure a Rose Bowl berth. What more could you hope for?

1 comment: