Monday, February 03, 2014

SB48 thoughts

So I was pretty bummed when Denver advanced to the Super Bowl. I was dreading being surrounded by all the hype. (This was my work on Friday.)

But now, eh, them making the Super Bowl wasn't so bad.

- - -

(Of course, as a Chiefs fan I would have loved to make the Super Bowl even if it ended up like that. I'm still waiting to experience a playoff win. I know I'm just bitter and jealous of the Broncos success. I'm embracing that.)

- - -

Now that I live in Denver, "this" is a big deal to me. Let me explain. I'm very much looking forward to the Brock Osweiler era. My dream is walking in to work after the Chiefs dominate the Broncos. Seeing sad Broncos fans because Kansas City hung 48 on them. This year, I had the opposite happen. Twice Denver beat the Chiefs and I had to be miserable for a bit.

The Broncos will be bad again. But if they had won last night, there would have been a halo, hangover effect. If in 2020 Denver goes 5-11 but they had won last night, people could still be wearing their Championship t-shirt and license plate frames. But now, it's very real that Peyton will retire without winning a title in Denver. And then they will bad and the Chiefs division-winning era could be upon us. (No guarantees there obviously, just hope.)

Peyton might come back for one or two more years, but everything went right for them this year. It's very possible they won't be a top team at all by next January.

- - -

Good for Seattle.

The Mariners were founded in 1977, no titles.
The Sonics were founded in 1967. They won it all in 1979 but then were stolen away. (Sore subject.)
The Seahawks were founded in 1976.

So last night was a long time coming. Good for them.

- - -

Good for Lynch.

This was his 7th season, a long time to be great for a running back. 4xPro Bowler. Also seems like a cool guy.

- - -

Good for Harvin.

He's struggled with injuries his whole career. Seattle gave up a lot to get him, gave him a lot of money, and the Super Bowl was his first impact for them. Worth it.

- - -

Good for the Sports Guy.

I know this is weird. But the Seahawks had come off two straight 7-9 seasons and drafted Russell Wilson in the third round. He was the 6th QB taken. And somehow Simmons picked them to win the Super Bowl. And they did, just a year later.

- - -

Also, Welker is 0-3 in Super Bowls. So Peyton's 1-2 is better.

- - -

I still don't believe in Wilson as a QB. I didn't think that he would be able to win in today's passing climate. Even discounting that he had the perfect situation (running game, defense, coaching) he won the Super Bowl, made plays, looked good doing it. If I could pick any QB to be on the Chiefs, Wilson wouldn't be in my top 5. But he's already proved me wrong.

- - -

So the formula for winning the Super Bowl is... you need a great QB and you need a great passing defense. Plus everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment