Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Dip Analysis / Super Bowl Menu Plan

A few months ago, after hearing MATES make Onion Dip by mixing a packet of Lipton onion mix with a tub of sour cream, I tried it. It was interesting. It was good. It was pungent. It was brown, not the white with green flecks sour cream and onion dip (sometimes labeled French Onion dip, even though it always the same). Honestly I preferred the store bought tub of dip. And it's not like using a packet of dry soup mix is really that homemade anyways.

Then last week, I saw this.

For starters, I had never heard of Buffalo Chicken Dip. I feel like I've been missing out.

In addition to my store bought sour cream and onion dip, I feel like there are three dips that I need to find/craft recipes for. This doesn't include the excellent guacamole, for which I've perfected my recipe over the years. And I've never made any salsas, just because there are so many good ones ready to buy. (In start contrast to gauc, which I will never buy in a store.) Anyways, these three are:

7-Layer Taco Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Queso

- - -

I almost made taco dip last week, but realized that it might cost $15-20 to buy all the ingredients. I'll add it up in a moment. First, I don't like tomatoes. Second, I don't hate them, but I don't really care for refried beans either.

So here's my custom recipe:

Taco Dip

Seasoned ground beef / chorizo mixture
Shredded cheddar
Sour cream + squeeze of lime juice
Diced red onion
Guacamole
Diced jalapenos (jarred might be best for this)
Shredded pepper jack + cilantro
Salsa

Serve with tortilla chips.

Even without the beans, I'm up to 8 layers. If I was making it vegetarian, I probably would use beans, just go easy on them. And yep, it looks like it's about $20. So maybe not ideal for the Super Bowl. This seems like it's own event.

- - -

Buffalo Chicken Dip

I've never made this. I've never tasted this. I've never even heard of this until last week. All the recipes seem pretty similar, though I would never used canned chicken.


2 cups of chicken: grilled, shredded
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup of Frank's red hot or wing sauce
1/2 cup of blue cheese dressing
1/2 cup of shredded pepper jack

Combine in a baking dish, 20 minutes at 350F. Perhaps some finely diced onion would add extra flavor?

- - -

Queso

So I grew up loving this. My first memory of it I think was at the 55-10 Super Bowl. I just looked it up and I was 6 for that game, so it's very possible. Growing up, it was just Velveeta and Rotel. And it's great. 

In doing the research for this, I found two recipes that look really good. One uses Velveeta and is simpler. The other uses a combination of shredded cheeses. I guess I'll have to make both one day. 


one package velveeta
one can rotel
one can green chiles
one onion
one tube of jimmy dean hot sausage


- - - 

Mmm, dips. 

- - - 

So this got me thinking about the ideal Super Bowl menu. And I'm a bit particular. First off, it's the Super Bowl. You don't want to be in the kitchen at any point. So I'm all about frozen foods and things you make ahead of time. Some things I think are a bad choice. Guacamole, while amazing, will get brown if you set out a bowl for a few hours. Chili is fantastic, but I don't really want to sit down with a whole bowl of something. 

I think Wings are essential. Blue cheese and ranch should be available. 

You can't have enough chips and dip. I would buy Ruffles + French Onion Dip. Plus Tostitos + Queso/Buffalo Chicken Dip/Taco Dip

I like hot foods, so some JalapeƱo Poppers (cream cheese filling) and Mozzarella Sticks are good options, and they're vegetarian. 

I think barbecued Lil' Smokies are a nice touch. If you add meatballs, get the mini ones. Or just as good would be Pigs in a Blanket. 

Pizza is not essential, but always welcome. I'd cut into small squares so everyone can have a bite or two.

So far, everything is minimal preparation. That's good. I think there's room for one homemade option that shows you know how to cook, you're just choosing not to. 

I would endorse Homemade Soft Pretzels + Queso. Or if you wanted, bacon-wrapped dates or bacon-wrapped chicken bites. Basically bacon-wrapped anything. 

I think that about covers it. Let me know if I missed something.

Edit: some other non-essential possibilities include your classic Kettle Chips, Cheez-its, you could do a full nacho bar if you wanted. If you have a sweet tooth, you could get some chocolate covered pretzels or Mint Milanos.


2 comments:

  1. This post instantly belongs in your Top Ten of 2014, I'm calling it now. Also, I share your surprise about Buffalo Chicken Dip and must make some immediately. And some queso. And some guac.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks katie holmes central

    ReplyDelete