Monday, May 02, 2011

HOW TO: make homemade pretzels

BREAKING: Over the weekend I learned that it's possible to make giant soft pretzels at home. So I did.




They turned out awesome. This is the recipe I used. I saved a screenshot below in case that site ever goes down.













I don't have much experience with making dough/bread. In fall 2009 I made an unsuccessful beer bread and an unsuccessful pizza crust. 

I followed the directions exactly. I learned that my hand-mixer has dough hooks and used them for the first time. The dough rises for an hour and it was fun to roll and twist.

Though Brit and I differed on our methods. In the top picture, I made the top-left, a simple overlap. Brit made the lower-left, adding a twist before the overlap.

At one point I added more baking soda to the boiling bath and it overflowed big time. It happens.

I baked them on aluminum foil and generous cooking spray on the foil is essential. And I only needed one egg to make egg wash for 8 pretzels. I only had fine salt. I feel like thicker pretzel salt would have been nice.

They turned out better than expected. I'm pretty sure the pretzel-flavor comes from the baking soda bath, and I loved the bites that were bursting with the pretzelness.

Wish I had a great cheese sauce to go with them. I tried them with deli mustard and cinnamon sugar and both were good. I baked one of them with a shredded cheese topping at the end, but it didn't hit the cheese sauce mark.

I'm convinced these would make excellent pretzel buns for big burgers. And these would be a huge hit at a Super Bowl party.

1 comment:

  1. dang. we need to make those again. i just need to set aside about 400 carbs for it.

    ReplyDelete