Monday, January 19, 2015

Why I'm Getting a Vasectomy

I am fortunate enough to have two healthy, amazing children.

It's true what they say, that love is an infinite resource. It would be possible to have more children and love them completely.

But there are other finite resources that it takes to be a parent.

The time we get to share with the people in our lives is precious. Being a father to these two boys is not a title. It means going camping, taking them to movies and ball games, building arts & crafts, helping them with homework. They deserve my undivided time and energy.

They also deserve my money. I work hard to give them experiences that provide fulfillment. Down the road, I want to do whatever I can to help them with a car and college. I don't know if I'll be able to provide everything that even I was provided, but I'm going to do my best.

When my boys are 6 and 8 (7 and 8 in the summer) I want to take them to Disneyland, not be stuck at home because I'm taking care of an infant. When they're 12 and 13, maybe we could be going to London, maybe we'll be camping in the mountains all the time, not limited by anyone else. They deserve that.

I don't know what the future holds in terms of relationships for me. It's entirely possible that I could have a fulfilling long-term romantic relationship. Maybe she will have kids of her own. And I recognize that by making this decision now, I'm taking away an opportunity for this mythical future woman to give birth with me.

But I don't want any more children. It's as simple as that.

This Friday, I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen.

1 comment: