Thursday, July 07, 2016

My First Red Rocks Concert

I first heard about Red Rocks Amphitheater because of 311. They had played there in 1996, 1997, 2000. I don't remember exactly how this venue became important to me  (they didn't make a dvd or anything) but when I visited Colorado for the first time in 2004, I made a point of visiting Red Rocks. 

It's amazingly beautiful. I took Mark for a hike there in 2012. I've taken my mom, my kids, my in-laws. But I've only ever been there during the day when nothing's going on. Until yesterday. 

Last night I went to my first concert there: Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday. (In case you're keeping score that's my #2 and #41 favorite band as of 2014.)

I went solo and got there during one of the opening acts, Saosin. (I missed The Early November completely.) 


Before I knew it, Taking Back Sunday came out. They were really good. The singer swung his microphone around constantly, including around his neck and high into the air, never dropped it once.



And then Dashboard Confessional came on.



You could see that his face had aged, but his voice was as good as ever. It's a truly great, unique venue and one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

The standout performance for me was "The Best Deceptions." I'm hoping someone posts it to YouTube eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment