Friday, November 11, 2016

Race Intersecting The Results

I started a much different post. And in the process of writing, one theme kept bubbling to the surface. So I'll start with this instead.

- - -

There have been reactions surrounding race on both sides.

Here's an article explaining the Trump vote was not because his supporters are racist, but because they felt unheard and left behind. And here's a #NeverTrump person talking about what it feels like when people generalize Trump supporters as racist.


And Michael Moore who predicted a Trump win this summer, nailed it. Particularly with the Rust Belt feelings on their economic future. 


On the other side, it feels different. Two days ago, I outlined my hopes and my fears for a Trump Presidency. My most pressing fear was not personal safety. But for some Americans, their first thought upon hearing Trump won, is what effect it will have on policing in this country. Or worried that their Mom, an American for 30 years, might not be able to enter the country, when she returns from foreign travel.

And then you look at the numbers.


And it's like, this is the president that white people wanted. But he's now the president for everyone.

There are other numbers to look at, of course.






So these are all insights into what white voters were thinking. They're not thinking, I'm racist and sexist. They're thinking they want change in Washington. They want change on trade. They aren't happy with how the country is doing. And basically, they don't trust either candidate, so they're voting, somewhat reluctantly for the person that can bring about change for them. That all makes sense.

But then there's people like me. Who can't believe people view Trump as even a plausible candidate. When you launch your campaign with the idea that the Mexicans coming to the United States are criminals and rapists. When you want to ban an entire religion from entering the country. When you say a Mexican judge can't be fair. When you rant about how bad the inner cities are ask them what do you have to lose?

"Poverty. Rejection. Horrible education. No housing, no homes, no ownership. Crime at levels that nobody has seen. You can go to war zones in countries that we are fighting and it's safer than living in some of our inner cities that are run by the Democrats."

When you're openly racist and misogynist, that's a non-starter. It's as if a NFL team chose their new head coach by a fan vote, and the only two choices were Mike Mularkey and a fan in the 2nd row yelling that Mexicans are rapists. I'm not super happy with Mike Mularkey. He sucks. But I'm not going to vote for the racist outsider, even if he promises free barbecue in the tailgate.

Trump supporters will say what about Hillary, she's terrible for all of these reasons! Deleted emails! Look, both candidates have skeletons in their closets. 60+% of the country thinks neither candidate is honest and trustworthy. But only one is openly bigoted, and not just that, but has centered rallies and plans around that bigotry.

I thought this passage from a high school teacher in Pennsylvania represented what a lot of people are feeling. (Emphasis mine.)

My struggle is this: I have been taught and fully embrace that my job is to make a safe space for kids to share their viewpoints. Whether or not I agree is so unimportant that I don’t even take it into consideration. However, a long time ago, this election became no longer a political choice but a moral one. Everyone who voted for Trump is not racist, but everyone who voted for Trump had to decide that racism was not a dealbreaker. So how do I allow kids to stand up and tell their peers that misogyny, racism, and xenophobia are ok? They are not; our school diversity statement, (which I wrote!), says it’s not, and yet in order to honor my students’ viewpoint, do I have to bite my tongue? Everything about my teaching career tells me to listen, accept, and invite other students to engage with those ideas.

This was echoed by Hasan Minhaj in the video I linked above:

"Open racism should be a dealbreaker...what (Trump supporters) are telling me is, "Hey I don't hate you, I just don't care about you."

- - -

And then you see what happens on Day 1 after the election.

Here.

And here.

So that's why people are protesting. Because something that seems plainly unacceptable is now reality.

- - -

And now I get to the place where I was originally going to start...

The country has spoken.

(It doesn't matter that as of this writing Clinton maintains a narrow popular vote lead. Trump got over 300 EC votes. The results weren't close.)

And at this point, it doesn't even matter what the people of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and so many other states were motivated by. Trump is our 45th President.

The country got together and had to decide what to put on our pizza. The only toppings available were onion or mushroom. (All the good meat toppings suddenly vanished.) I voted for onion. The majority of the country voted for mushroom. Now we all have to eat it. Based on what I know so far, I don't think I'm going to like mushroom pizza for the next four years. I also don't think it's going to taste good for the people that voted for it, yet I believe they'll say they like it.

I'm not here to blame anyone.

No matter who you voted for: Clinton, Trump, 3rd party, or if you didn't vote at all...that's your right and I can just hope that you're happy with your decision.

At this point, it's time to see what we've ordered. Hopefully it's great for all Americans.

But there's one thing that will be difficult to swallow.


This is a president elected by white people, opposed by non-white people. If a Trump presidency does things to help White America and hurts non-White America, then we've got a serious problem.

No matter how much we may not want it, Trump is our next President. And all 318 million of us are counting on him to do a good job and make this country stronger, safer, more financially secure.

He promised to Make America Great Again.
Even if I think it's already great, it's up to his administration to deliver.

Edit:
Harry Reid, Senator of Nevada, shares his views. 


3 comments:

  1. Your last two posts are among the best post-election comments I've read from any part of the political spectrum. I didn't end up voting for Trump, figuring Clinton would win Illinois and that by leaving President blank and voting on the rest, it would be analyzed as a protest vote.

    I hope that Trump does a great job as president. I hope everybody's lives improve over the next four years.

    I don't understand why we're always dividing people by race, class, and any other which way. The people have voted. Now lets hope that Trump surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On your last point, about why we're analyzing people by race, class, etc...it's because we are divided. If a workplace had a vote for the music to be played during work and country won, despite 30% of employees hating country, it would be an issue. If Clinton had won, Trump supporters would be pissed too. We're a divided country in many ways.

    I do want to say something directly to you Mark. Having you as a friend (and reader) I think has made me more thoughtful. It's easy to get lazy with political opinions, but knowing you're going to read anything I write makes me think things through more fully. I just wanted to thank you for being respectful and thoughtful yourself, even if you don't agree with something I write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can be different, but we don't have to be divided. Why can't black people and white people have the same values for the country? I'd like to think that we all want the same things: a good life for us and our families. It's should be just an argument about how to get there. I happen to think that a smaller government that allows people to succeed or fail based on their own merits is great. I think welfare cripples people financially and emotionally. How proud do you feel when you get something that you deserve vs. how proud do you feel when you get something without working for it?

    Disagreeing on politics is fine when each side believes that the other side is still a good person. That's why we'll always be friends. But it seems like lately it's getting to the point where people don't want to hear opinions that differ and cut people out of their lives because of these political differences, creating an echo chamber. And then each side gets riled up and thinks the other side is terrible.

    ReplyDelete