Wednesday, November 09, 2016

This Is What America Deserves

I read a comment this morning that struck me. 


It was the can't be worse than Obama part.

It's enough to make me feel like I'm crazy. That I'm on Shutter Island. Do we not remember the W presidency as a not so great time that ended with a housing crisis and a Great Recession? Where Obama had to come in and bailout the auto industry in Michigan and surrounding areas?

That by almost any measure I can think of we are so, so, so much better off than in 2008? Am I crazy? Why do people think Obama has done a bad job?

- - -

I wrote this last night before I went to bed:

Before people forget, as of November 8, 2016, America was really great.

The economy was solid. Not as strong as it could be, but an incredible bounce back from the housing crising and recession/depression that W left. The gap between rich and poor is a problem, but efforts to raise the minimum wage are an attempt at progress. The middle class has rebounded, at least somewhat. 

People generally feel safe. Yes, there are shootings. Gun violence is too high. But still, I think most people feel safe. 

According to Wikipedia, our current war efforts are listed as Pakistan, Afghanistan and the War on ISIL. So not at peace, but still it seems like mostly airstrikes, and much less military conflict compared to the War on Terror that defined W's presidency. 

We were becoming more inclusive as a country. Gay marriage finally became legal in June 2015, country-wide. 

I think it's important to remember where the country was at this point. Because we sure don't know where it's going to be in 4 or 8 years. 

- - -

Stephen Colbert, who I love and respect, ended his show by talking about how we can get back to our lives and forget about politics, and unite about what brings us together.

As if this is about being hurt that "my guy" didn't win. This isn't a football game where I'm upset about my team not winning. This is about what happens moving forward.

Look, if Trump does a great job, I will be incredibly happy. I hold no personal grudges. I want him to make the country stronger. 

If he gets rid of Obamacare and creates a system that makes healthcare more affordable and accessible, particularly for the working and middle class, I will sing his praises.

If he can reduce gun violence in America, as he harped about how bad it is in Chicago and other inner cities over and over, I would be thrilled.

If he can grow our GDP, reduce unemployment beyond historically low levels, help the factory workers in the Midwest, make our economy thrive, that would be awesome. I would be pumped about a Trump presidency.

If he wants a smaller government, without affecting the American quality of life, I'm for that too.

If he reveals that he was only saying racist, misogynist, hateful things to get elected and then becomes an inclusive President that protects the rights of all Americans, that would be super great.

If he can make our schools stronger, college more affordable, all hail President Trump.

If he makes the country better, I'd vote for his re-election in 4 years.
If he makes the country better, this is what America deserves.

I'm filled with fear because I believe he won't do any of these things. 

Based on the campaign he's run, I expect him to repeal Obamacare without having anything in it's place. I'm afraid of healthcare becoming more expensive and less accessible.

I expect him to cut taxes to benefit the wealthy.

I expect him to blow billions on a Wall without actually accomplishing anything.

I'm afraid our economy will stutter and stagnate. I'm afraid the Midwest factory workers will not see any improvement.

I'm afraid his presidency will embolden the racist movement in this country, creating a culture of danger and fear.

I'm afraid that gay marriage will get overturned.

I'm afraid of what will happen to the Supreme Court. I'm pissed off that the Republican Congress didn't meet upon Merrick Garland for 237 days, a dereliction of duty, and it's going to work! This could have lasting effects on the country for the next 30-40 years.

I'm afraid that the country is going to be significantly worse off in 4 or 8 years.
And if that happens, this is what America deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment