Wednesday, May 02, 2018

2018 Master Kansas City Barbecue List

I'm slimming this document down to just notes so it's easier to navigate. I don't need to document every time I go to Q39, for example.

Previous Years:
2017
2016

_________________________________________

Elite Tier


Elite tier is best of the best. You're probably going to have to wait in line.

Q39





Mr Burns is a perfect sandwich.
Ribs are 100/100. Half rack of ribs is a great order.
Their brisket is not my favorite. Gotta go ribs or burnt ends.
Ranking of side dishes: mac & cheese is amazing, fries good, potato salad fine, beans not great.

Slap's


Burnt ends, brisket and sausage all great.
Loved the spicy sauce. Brisket plus sauce on white bread was killer.
Potato casserole probably best side I've ever had in my life.
Fries not that great.
I'd put Slap's brisket ahead of Q39 & Char Bar but their burnt ends below those two spots.


 Great Tier

Even though they're not the top tier, I still enjoy these places and will choose to go here depending on convenience, shorter lines, atmosphere, etc.


Char Bar


Burnt ends are first-rate.
Ribs are hit or miss.
Brisket is solid and I love the sauce.
Sides are good too. 


Arthur Bryant's



This is the OG.
Distinctive sauce, huge portions.
Burnt ends too saucy, no char. Still good but not my favorite.
Classic.


Burnt End BBQ


Burnt ends are the star, ribs are good too.
Like the sauce selection, chill atmosphere.
Not as serious. Nice when you just want a sandwich.




The Gates Tier




Gates gets its own tier as might be amazing or it might be kinda bad. I don't know that it's fair to split the difference and just call it great—that doesn't quite capture it.
I've been disappointed with their burnt ends and their skimpy beef on bun.
The double decker beef (above) is legitimately great, the white bread is perfect for brisket.
I need to try the ribs. Fries are just okay.
I'm biased because this is what I grew up with, so I love the sauce and overall flavor.
Sam Mellinger described Gates as "where you might eat the best barbecue meal available in Kansas City but you might also eat the worst." So when I say hit or miss, that's what I'm talking about.




Solid Tier


Jack Stack



Beef burnt ends better than pork—both are not elite.
Like the ribs.
Also liked beans and potato salad.
Good but not life-changing. Confirmed this is not on the level of Q39 or Slap's.


Joe's



The Z-man is the thing to get here.
Overall, their meats run a bit dry.
This place is overrated, but that sandwich is their saving grace.


Danny Edwards 



Only had the burnt ends.
Solid, not spectacular.



_________________________________________

Places To Try


LC's
B.B.'s
Brobeck's
Blind Box


No comments:

Post a Comment