Wednesday, August 15, 2018

cell phone timeline





LG VX6000
July 2004 - May 2006

I got my first cell phone in the summer of 2004. It was a decent phone. It had two plastic hinges and eventually one side broke off, but I was eligible for my New Every Two at that point.




LG VX8300
May 2006 - February 2008

This was my favorite phone. This had one strong hinge in the center and nice speakers on the side of the phone so you could always hear it ringing. This phone was still working when I upgraded as part of my New Every Two.




LG VX8350
February 2008 - May 2009

This phone was quite plain. They finally made a phone without a visible antenna. And yet it was ugly. It was broken during the Autopilot release party and I had to do an early upgrade.





Samsung Trance
May 2009 - July 2010

My first phone that wasn't an LG clamshell. I didn't mind the sliding aspect, but it wasn't a big deal. It seemed fine until I lost service while camping and never got it back. I took it into a Verizon store and they said it was dead. In a coincidence, I lost the charger the day before it died.





LG Accolade
July 2010 - April 2013

My fifth phone. Of the previous four, the 8300 was the only that was still working when I upgraded. But this one lasted forever.






LG Revere 2
April 2013 - April 2015
My last flip phone. Pretty forgettable.




LG G3
April 2015 - April 2017

My first smartphone. I loved how the curved back fit in the palm of my hand. And how the power and volume buttons were all on the back so there were no buttons on the side. Just clean lines.






LG G6
April 2017 - August 2021

I loved the G3 so much that I stuck with LG. Volume buttons on the side...but they did add the wide angle camera which I use a lot. Love the screen and camera still. I did see Niraj's Pixel so I will have to consider that in the future. But the Samsung S8 Galaxy is too narrow and I don't like the curved screen.

Update: The G6 was good to me and is still going strong over four years later, although it's slowed down and battery is not what it's used to be. LG stopped making smartphones so it's time for...
Google Pixel 5a 5G
September 2021 - April 2023


Went with this because it has a great camera, headphone jack, great battery, no curved screen, and affordable. Everything I was looking for.



Google Pixel 6a
April 2023 - Present

I truly loved my 5a. So I was pretty bummed when it slid out of my pocket getting out of a car, fell less than two feet and became a brick. 6a seems like the same thing but without the headphone jack and it's not as comfortable to hold because it doesn't have a fingerprint sensor on the back. 




No comments:

Post a Comment