Thursday, March 17, 2022

Calcutta Post-Auction

I've been known to make more than one bracket.

My primary bracket this year has an Elite 8 of:

Gonzaga/Texas Tech
Arizona/Tennessee
UCLA/Kentucky
Kansas/Auburn

My big brain bracket that is a little bolder, taking inspiration from some analytics, swaps out Arizona for Houston. 

So I was pretty surprised that I was able to get Texas Tech, Houston, Tennessee, UCLA, and Kentucky, 5 of my bold Elite 8 teams covering the West, South and East. Then I also got a team in the Midwest that I've got making the Sweet 16. 

- - -

I think Gonzaga is going to win it all. I came in willing to spend $13 on the Zags. When I wasn't willing to bid 13.75, I pivoted. I tried to get Arizona, but was happy to get Kentucky for under $8. Coming in I thought I would be lucky to get 4 of my elite 8 contenders. 

There were teams that I didn't want to spend money on: Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Villanova, Arkansas, Wisconsin. 

In addition to Gonzaga and Arizona and the teams I ended up getting, I also wanted Purdue, Iowa, 11 seeds and 13 seeds but you can't have them all. 

- - -

Of course, it's all a crap shoot. You can have feelings about all kinds of teams that don't come true. 

For example, this is a very likely Elite 8:

Gonzaga/Duke
Arizona/Villanova
Baylor/Purdue
Kansas/Auburn

If that happens, I've got zero teams alive. So who knows. 

1 comment:

  1. It would have been helpful if you had hit publish on your elite 8 picks BEFORE calcutta.

    I didn't follow basketball except for the Illini, just knew that Gonzaga was at the top the whole year, plus some Auburn sprinkled in and that Arizona climbed to the top 5 and stayed there. Naturally, I got none of them. I didn't want Duke and got left holding the bag on them. Same with Villanova. I did not care for the auction this year. With six people it seemed like there was a lot of money to throw around on only a few good teams. It's all a crapshoot anyway. That said, though, Kirat doesn't have a lot of upside after the first weekend (except for Purwon't).

    ReplyDelete