Monday, September 12, 2005

Footblogger

well I survived the first day of fantasy, er – flag football. here's a running commentary:

5:50 I set my goals for the game: 1 interception and 1 touchdown.

6:00 game starts in 30 minutes, I arrive on the field. I'm trying to find my teammates, unsure if anyone has arrived yet. there are a bunch of guys wearing white shirts like we are supposed to. I ask a couple guys what team they are on…of course since they are on teams with their friends they know that I'm an idiot

6:10 I meet the first guy on my team. he's a little bigger than me

6:15 some more guys trickle in. they're older and bigger than me

6:25 we start running practice plays. a guy blows by me. they are faster and older and bigger than me.

6:30 there are 3 guys wearing running shoes who don't look that great. there are 7 players that look good and they are wearing football cleats. I am wearing running shoes

6:35 since we have 10 players for our 7 on 7 game, there needs to be 3 subs. I immediately walk to the sideline

6:37: the opposing team only has 6 players present. not only will they not have any subs, but it will be 7 on 6.

Game Begins: our team starts on offense. they drive the field. I get in the game when it is 2nd and goal. I proceed to get open 3 times in the endzone and not get the ball thrown to me. Turnover on downs

I stay in on D and we get a 3 and out. I come out for the punt return.

We drive again and score a touchdown on a jump ball to our tall guy. I come in for the extra point conversion (no kicking in this game) proceed to get open in the endzone and not get the ball thrown to me. Us 6, Them 0.

The first half progresses with little excitement. I play a little but not much happens.

Halftime: Even though I haven't exerted myself, I figure I brought some damn Gatorade, I'm going to drink it.

We begin the 2nd half on defense. I read a QB sweep and get in position. I go for his flags and he runs right by me, past another teammate and takes it to the house. Us 6, Them 6.

While setting up for the conversion, the ref calls the play back for illegal flags. Apparently, he lost a flag way back at the line. Us 6, Them 0.
I think at this point we exchange series w/o anything happening.

Middle 2nd half: I am lined up on a man, but read that the QB is on the run and won't make a good throw. I release off my man and cover short zone. He throws it right to me. Having not touched the ball all game I go out and grab it and get a nice return. Interception.

After getting good field position we blow it with stupid penalties (false start and delay of game). The frustrating part was that after a penalty we would go back to call a new play. Why couldn't we run the same one we were ready for? I proceed to get open 2 times in the endzone and not get the ball thrown to me.

I am in on the offense line to block (there is an immediate rush) and someone pancakes me. Flat on my back.

We have to punt and now they have the ball with only 2 minutes remaining.

I think they ran a screen pass and I am in good position on the runner. But knowing how hard it is to grab a flag on a fast, huge guy, I try to just get in his way, maybe get a flag, maybe knock him out of bounds. I end up jarring the ball loose as he goes past me. (This is the same as a tackle as fumbles are retained by the offense when the ball touches the ground).

Unfortunately, he had a man trailing him and he was able to catch the ball before he hits the ground and he scores with a minute left. Tied at 6.

I come out for the conversion attempt, mostly because I don't want to be blamed for losing the game. They over throw and we get the ball back.

Amazingly, we were able to get a huge pass and answer right back with a touchdown. Needless to say they didn't throw the ball to me. We don't get the conversion and hope that doesn't hurt us. Us 12, Them 6.

They have 30 seconds, but go 4 and out. I stay off the field so I can't get blamed for losing the game.

Final Stats:

0 recepts
0 thrown to
0 rushes
0 yards
1 interception
0 tackles
1 bad pancake
0 penalties
10 times wide open
1 win

A W is a W.

No comments:

Post a Comment