Friday, May 22, 2009

Softball 2009: Game 2

This game I was scheduled to pitch the first half and then move to 3B for the second half. The captain clearly tried to get me out of last week's slump by moving me up in the lineup to the leadoff spot. (I was active all innings, pitching stats in red)

------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -- F
US --- 3 0 1 0 0 2 0 -- 6
THEM 3 0 0 1 1 2 x -- 7

Batting Stats for Game Two:
1st AB: 1B (out at 3rd)
2nd AB: 1B (scored run from second)
3rd AB: fly out to right
4th AB: 1B (stranded)

Average: .750
Slugging: .750
0 walks
0 strike outs
0 rbi
1 run

Pitching Stats for Game Two:
3 IP
3 runs
2 K
0 BB

ERA: 7.00 and no decision

Last week I threw out the first pitch of the game. This week I was the first batter of the game. I hit a grounder in between first and second and was safely on first. The next batter hit the ball safely out of the infield and I rounded 2nd and headed for 3rd. I'm fairly fast (over short distances) and the ball was in the outfield and I didn't think there would even be a play at third. But they made a good throw and I don't remember what happened next. I didn't want to slide but I guess I did because I scraped up my leg and got a bloody knee. I made contact with the third basemen, overran the base and tried to get back, thought that I might have been safe but got called out. Not sure if I was out initially or because I overran the base. And then I immediately got up and starting holding my left arm. (A day later I think I've figured out the injury is in tendons in my left forearm).

We scored three runs in the top of the first anyway and I felt confident about our chances. I had to go pitch and did pretty well considering the injury. I don't remember much about the bottom of the first but they scored three. In the bottom second (we started with a 1-1 count) I dug myself into a 3-1 hole. Then I throw a strike that landed on the plate and with a full count threw a nice one that got the batter looking. Not many times will you get a batter to strike out without swinging. That was a 1-2-3 inning as I also caught a pop-up.

I was the first batter in the top of the 3rd and I could barely lift the bat. (A few hours later I couldn't lift my left arm into my robe sleeve.) But I hit a line drive to right for a single. I then advanced to second, and scored from there.

In the bottom of the fourth, our relief pitcher came in. I don't want to say that's she's terrible. But she did walk at least three batters on the night, including a guy with a girl behind him in the lineup which is treated as an intentional walk, so the batter goes to second and the girl goes to first. That is the cardinal sin of pitching as girl batters are sacred (read: easy outs).

In three innings at third base I fielded 4 balls:
1st: a weak ball between me and the pitcher. I called off the pitcher and made the running throw to get the batter out.
2nd: with the bases loaded, I stabbed a sharp grounder and tagged third.
3rd: an even weaker ball was hit just in front of the batters box--I tried to charge it and make the play but couldn't get the throw on the mark in time. but I wouldn't call it an error as I didn't throw it away
4th: my defensive play of the day. bottom of the 6th, we're already losing 6-7, the bases are loaded and there's only 1 out. a sharp chopper to my left. I grab it, tag the runner going from 2nd to 3rd and then spin around and throw it to second for a double play that ends the inning and doesn't score the runner from third.

Another note on the pitcher: she made a double play by catching a line drive and throwing it to catch the runner at first. So she pitched three innings, gave up at least 3 walks, and got two double plays, which are basically unheard of.

In the top 5th, I was up to bat with two outs and crushed a ball to right even though I couldn't lift the bat. Unfortunately, it was caught by the right fielder. Sometimes it's better to just hit a grounder throw the infield.

In the top of the 7th, I came up to bat in the ideal pressure situation. Down one, two outs, last chance to score. I hit a grounder up the middle, right past the pitcher and made it to first. So now I'm on first and we have a good guy hitter up after me. On deck is a girl who's not bad, but who you wouldn't want to rely on to win the game. So I'm thinking with two outs I have to try and score from first. The batter fouls one off to get to a 2-2 count. On the swing I'm taking off and running hard to second, ready to go to three. He hits a nice line/fly to centerfield. If it drops I'm running for home and ready to slide if need be. But the outfielder catches it and that's the ballgame. We lose 6-7 to a team that we really should have beat. Especially because our schedule is about to get a lot tougher and wins will be at a premium.

I'll calculate season stats when there's more numbers to crunch.

2009 Team Record: 1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment