Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Softball 2009: Game 9

After holding last week's opponent to 3 runs, I told all my teammates that I'm going for the shutout. This opponent was 0-8 so I figured that was our best chance ever.

------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -- F
US --- 4 4 0 2 0 0 3 -- 13
THEM 3 0 1 0 1 0 3 -- 8

I made a couple of errors in the first inning. I was playing tight, trying to not allow any runs. You should never say that you're going for a shutout. I knew that, and still I tried.

Batting Stats for Game 9
1st AB: 1B, run, rbi
2nd AB: 1B, run
3rd AB: sac fly, rbi
4th AB: 1B, run, slide

Average: 3 for 3, 1.000
Slugging: 1.000
3 runs
2 rbi


Pitching Stats for Game 9:
7 IP
8 runs
1 K
0 BB

ERA: 8.00 and the win


This game was notable for the play I made in the top of the 7th. It was not the greatest play I've ever made, but it was pretty darn good. I had just gotten on base with a single. The batter behind me hit a ground ball through the infield. I easily rounded second and was going to be fine at third. At this point we were up at least 5 runs and hadn't given up any big innings since the first. I felt comfortable knowing we were going to win. And I knew that the girl positioned as the catcher hadn't been making any catches/tags.

So I decided to go home. I got about 5-10 feet away from home plate when I saw the situation unfolding. The pitcher was running to home to cover the plate and the throw was on the way. It looked like I didn't have a window to score. So I was thinking about turning around to go back to 3rd and hit my brakes.

As I'm slowing down, I see the pitcher turning to his left and catching the relay throw as he's running. It's at this point that I see a window, and continue going for home. The pitcher now has the ball, is basically at home plate but still moving, and is turning towards the 3rd base line to tag me.

I kept going towards the pitcher and sort of slide my left foot in between the pitcher's standing legs and lean back to avoid a tag. It was a clean slide and I'm not sure if he ever tagged me at all, but he sure was pissed that the ump called me safe, considering he had the ball and was at home.

Regular Season
Team Record: 3-6
Games I Was There For: 3-3
Pitching Record: 3-2

2009 (includes mid-season tournament)
Team Record: 6-6
Games I Was There For: 6-3
Pitching Record: 6-2

And there you have it, for playoff seeding we're a 3-6 team this year. And yet I showed up to play 9 games and won 6 of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment