Saturday, August 01, 2009

Softball 2009: Game 8

I missed Game 3 on the DL, I missed Game 6 on vacation, and Game 7 because I was working late. All three were losses.

Game 8 was a rematch against our opponent that beat us 7-6 in Game 2. This was a team that we really should have beaten. It was also the game when I severely injured my arm. But if you look at that box score I pitched two out of three innings scoreless and felt that I could have easily held on for the win.

On the way to the game, I was thinking that we should aim for a shutout. Inspired by Buerhle's no-hitter, I thought that this team was a good opportunity for a goose egg.

------- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -- F
THEM 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 -- 3
US --- 6 3 3 0 0 0 x -- 12

Batting Stats for Game 8
1st AB: 1B, run
2nd AB: 2B, run
3rd AB: fly out

Average: .666
Slugging: 1.000
2 runs

Pitching Stats for Game 8:
7 IP
3 runs
1 K
0 BB

ERA: 3.00 and the win

Almost got the shut out. The run in the first was partially my fault, as with one out, I fielded the ball and got the out at first, allowing a runner to advance to second. She would come into score.

In the 6th, we turned a double play a rare play worth celebrating. However our first baseman started celebrating with the ball in her hand and only two outs, allowing a runner from third to come in to score while I'm shouting at her to throw the ball home to me. (The same player allowed a run the same way earlier in the season, after she made a great catch in foul territory.)

But our bats came to play. I love it when we score more in the first inning than the other team all game. Either we got complacent or their defense tightened up, but the damage was done. I would have been set to lead off the bottom of the 7th, had we needed to bat that part of the inning.

Regular Season
Team Record: 2-6
Games I Was There For: 2-3
Pitching Record: 2-2

2009 (includes mid-season tournament)
Team Record: 5-6
Games I Was There For: 5-3
Pitching Record: 5-2

Our last game of the regular season is against the team we beat in week 1. So even though our record is technically 2-6 this season, my personal record is 5-3 in games played.

No comments:

Post a Comment