Tuesday, June 22, 2010

breakfast links (get it?)

Inspired by this post, I started thinking about breakfast.

For me growing up, my favorite breakfast was what my Grandpa made. The star of the show was his pancakes. They are super thin, I think it's a Scandinavian/German tradition, not much thicker than some crepes. (Think something like this.) But instead of being crepe like and topped with fruit and nonsense, they're topped with maple syrup and optional brown sugar. I also loved to roll up chunks of sausage inside a piece of pancake--what we called "pigs in a blanket" not to be confused with David Stern's favorite appetizer.

Although the pancakes are good enough to be a meal on their own, to complete the meal I need homemade hash browns and sausage. (And the reason I opt for sausage over bacon, is probably because the sausage goes so well with the pancakes.

Served with a glass of orange juice, now that's a breakfast.

- - -

But wait there's more.

Say you really want bacon. Here's how to cook it for breakfast. (And btw, here's how to cook it for a blt. Hold the tomato on mine.)

So once you've got that pan full of bacon grease, you might as well make some eggs. I guess. I don't like eggs that much. But scramble them, through in some onions, peppers, a little hot sauce, and cover them with melted cheddar and you got yourself some bacon and eggs.

- - -

What about when you really know what you want?

Then it's time for some french toast! I love french toast. I feel like if you're making homemade french toast, that's all you need.

- - -

And last but not least, biscuits and gravy.

This goes back to my love affair with sausage. (Within the last year, Italian sausage has surpassed pepperoni as my favorite pizza topping. Although at some chainy places you probably can't taste the Italian-ness of it, and that ruins it for me. Domino's has a decent Italian flavor for national chains.)

Anyways, I love biscuits and gravy. What's not to like? It's creamy, it's full of sausage. And if you burn the biscuits a little you just need to cover them with extra gravy.

- - -

So what'd I miss? What's your favorite breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment