Saturday, July 24, 2010

HOW TO: make meatball subs

(1/30 - f3.5 - ISO2000)


Okay, confession. I didn't make the meatballs. Honestly, it seems like a pain in the ass. You have to mix all these ground meat, and cook them slowly rotating, but they're spheres so you're never really cooking every side perfectly, and then maybe they turn out dry anyways.

So I bought Trader Joe's meatballs. I did cook them in the oven, and then transferred them to my pan, where I tossed them with a drizzle of olive oil and a coating of garlic powder and then parmesan.

What I did do, was make my own pasta sauce. (Which is really a recipe from Brit's Mom, or as I'll refer to it now, a Verrette family recipe.) I can't say enough good things about this sauce. For one, I use it on pasta, my homemade pizza, and now on italian sandwiches. So I mixed up a batch today. I've switched over to using crushed instead of stewed tomatoes, which results in a smooth, chunkless sauce, and today I went heavy on adding diced peppers.

I made sure to buy S. Rosen's rolls instead of Turano, and I also picked up some smoked provolone.

For assembly, I applied a layer of sauce onto the roll, placed my meatballs, added more sauce, and one sliced of provolone cut in half. Then, using a makeshift aluminum foil holder, I put the assembled sandwich back in the oven, using the broil setting. In just a couple minutes, the cheese gets perfectly melted and the bread gets just a bit crusty on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

Absolutely delicious. Maybe one day I'll be a meatball making expert and I'll look back and think this was laughable, but for now this is damn good. I have a new found respect for how far a good red sauce goes in impacting the overall taste. And getting the right bread is key. And hey, the meatballs tasted pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment