Friday, July 30, 2010

I Write Like...

I found this FASCINATING.

I stumbled across a site called "I write like" and allegedly will tell you what famous author you write like, based on a pasted sample.

The first thing I did was submit some quotes from Vonnegut and Palahniuk, and sure enough they correctly identified them, as long as there was enough content. It didn't do as well with 1-sentence quotes.

So I opened up my Autopilot document and copied and pasted each chapter:

Chapter 1: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 2: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 3: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 4: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 5: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 6: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 7: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 8: Ursula K. Le Guin
Chapter 9: Ursula K. Le Guin
Chapter 10: Stephen King
Chapter 11: Cory Doctorow
Chapter 12: Stephen King
Chapter 13: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 14: Cory Doctorow
Chapter 15: Cory Doctorow
Chapter 16: J. D. Salinger
Chapter 17: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 18: Stephen King
Chapter 19: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 20: Chuck Palahniuk
Chapter 21: Stephen King

- - -

I've always considered Palahniuk one of my favorite writers (along with Vonnegut) and cited him as a primary influence. Now it seems documented. I also love Catcher in the Rye, so I was excited to see Salinger pop up. So I checked out chapter 16. That is the chapter (spoiler alert) that the main character is walking around New York City. And despite the age difference, it sort of reminiscent of Holden walking around.

Of course, later on, I specifically reference Holden Caulfield in Chapter 19. How very Palahniukian of me.

So then I copied the entire novel, and pasted it. So I suppose it's true, in Autopilot...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...apparently an orphan chapter of a book I was thinking about writing a few years back is in the style of Dan Brown. Not sure what to think of that...

    ReplyDelete