Monday, September 13, 2010

challah!

The headline works better if you imagine someone shouting it on Yo! MTV Raps. Which is how I imagine all my blog posts being read.

- - -

I bought a loaf of challah to make french toast (obligatory video clip) an un-stuffed version of the one we made in August. It was delicious. Of course it was.

The recipe for the batter made more than I could eat, so I cooked up some more, and saved them for the next day. Stored well.

But then I had half a loaf of challah. What to do with it?

I gave it a shot, and I discovered something amazing. Pan-fried sandwiches. I've loved these sandwiches as a kid, with their buttery, crusty outside, and the soft, warm inside, especially with melted cheese.

But the challah takes it to the next level. First, I up I used a burger, mayo and garlic mustard on the inside of the bread. On the outside, just cooking spray (and spray butter if you want extra butter flavor). With the pan on medium, it only takes a couple minutes on each side. The outside takes on a beautiful color and flavor, a rich crust, while the inside becomes soft and delicious.

It was so good the next day I did a repeat using grilled chicken. I even added a little parmesan to the pan, but I could hardly taste it.

Results: make more pan-fried sandwiches with challah. So good!

1 comment:

  1. two jew posts in a row. you're going to lose your street cred

    ReplyDelete