Saturday, January 28, 2012

Adventures in Curling: sub edition

I signed up for a six-week league but that doesn't start until Feb 25. But because I'm a member, I can sub in the ongoing leagues.

First up, there are rookie leagues (0-3 years of experience) and open leagues (3+ years). I have 2 days of experience. But there was a team in the open league who needed a sub and I jumped at the chance. I responded to the mass mail 2 minutes after it was sent.

I didn't even bother to look that the team I was subbing on was 0-2. And we would be playing a team that was 2-0.

I met the three people I would be playing with. One couple had been playing for five years. I didn't catch the experience on the other person, but I suspect it was more. So yeah...

I told them they could put me first, where I could inflict the least damage. So they did.

A game is 8 ends.

After one end, we were down 4-0. Yikes.
After three ends, we were down 4-3. Comeback city.
We lost, 12-4. Yikes.

I didn't play great. I wouldn't even say that I held my own. But for my experience level, I'd say I was average. I got a few in the house usually to the left. And I left a few short but in front of the house that could be played with. But usually I would leave it short, out of play. And then occasionally I would throw it long, trying to compensate.

But I was glad I got to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment