Sunday, February 05, 2012

Adventures in Curling: sub edition #2

This week I subbed again, though I made sure it was for a rookie league.

Though you couldn't tell just by looking at them. On Sheet 5, a team was wearing matching printed team shirts.

And our two teams mulled over every shot like this was the Olympics. We only finished 7 ends instead of the full 8 because we ran out of time.

Despite being the rookie league, everyone there seemed quite experienced. Also you can tell who's serious, because they have their own brooms.

I was assigned first position again which was fine with me since I didn't want to ruin their game.

We won the coin toss and scored two with the hammer in the first end.
And then we scored a point in the 2nd and 3rd without the hammer.
Up 4-0, they scored a point.
And then in the 5th end, they scored two even though we had the hammer.

With the score 4-3 after the 5th end, it could have gone either way.

Our team scored two in the 6th.

And then with a 6-3 lead, we played not to lose and let them get two in the 7th end, but knocked enough of theirs out to win, 6-5.


So if we played 7 ends, that means I had 14 shots.

At least 4 of them didn't cross the hog line and so weren't in play.
And another 3 or so rolled out the back of the house.

I had 2 that landed in the middle of the house--which you'd think would be great. But when you're a first, the ideal shot is at the front of the house or just in front of it. When I had a rock near the button, it was knocked out on the next shot.

I did have about 2 shots that were centered and up front, just what you'd like to see. But one of them was in the 5th end, when they scored two, so clearly my shots were not the key to victory.

The good news was that I shot better as the night went on, so perhaps there's signs of progress.

And at least I didn't cost this team the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment