Tuesday, February 07, 2012

My Souper Bowl

So Grantland put together a soup bracket. But with some glaring omissions...no chili? I suppose you could argue that chili is not a soup, that it is it's own category, or that it's a stew and that's a separate bracket. Still I think it belongs. What about a gumbo? Or any cajun/creole dish? Crawfish chowder?

I think chili wins the tournament if it's in. But it's not. Here's my bracket, followed by the Grantland readers choices.



Analysis
Most underrated: Butternut Squash
Most overrated: Chicken Noodle

I would have had Chicken Noodle out in the first round if it had any decent competition. Miso, Lentil, Beef Barley, all lost in my first round, but could have beaten Chicken Noodle.

I think Wonton is fine. But Butternut Squash is divine. Captures the flavors of fall. Awesome with some roast chicken or turkey along side.

There were two first round matchups where I couldn't pick a winner. Where I wouldn't eat either soup under normal circumstances.

Clam Chowder is a fine, fine soup. But I defy people to sit down and have a good bowl of clam chowder and a good bowl of lobster bisque and say the clam chowder is better. I think this won on name only. (Which is stupid, because lobster bisque has a better name anyways. Can't explain this one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment