Sunday, April 01, 2012

Curling: Week Six

We won our bowl game.

The toilet bowl as it were.

Even though it was a ten team league, there were really only nine teams plus a team made up of subs every week. And for week 6, two teams were combined as they were both missing players.

So even though we were 2-3 and on the cusp of being 3-2 and tied for the championship game...we were playing for 7th.

And after getting four in the 3rd end, we were up 5-3 after four. Which made me laugh, because it's the same lead we had over both teams playing in the championship. 

By the way, I again was playing vice, the third position. When I came up in the 5th, the house was empty. I put two in. After the opposing team's last throw, they had one closest to the button. But our skip hit a nice shot and we ended up scoring two. That's a three point swing and now it's 7-3.

They added one in the 6th. And then we realized that we only had time to play one more end.

So we're sitting up 7-4 with the hammer.

With our skip coming up they had two in the house but only one shot left. And our skip's first shot knocks one of their stones out, leaving them one in and only one to throw, down three.

Their last stone doesn't make it into the house. If it had, the smart play would have been to just shake hands or throw it five feet.

But since we couldn't loss the game, she went ahead and shot for the point. Of course she knocked an opposing stone into the house, for a final score of 7-6.

I feel like I made a lot of progress between the two games I subbed and my first week of this league. And I feel like I also stepped up quite a bit over the last two weeks. But that may just be because I switched to third position, and I'm better at aiming shots at opposing rocks than drawing to empty space.

It was a good game and definitely nice to end the season with a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment