Friday, May 29, 2015

Euchre: What Would You Do?

I've been playing a lot of Euchre on my phone. In the game below, the dealer is on my right, so I'm first to act. If I wanted to play Spades, the dealer would get the Ace. What would you do? Let me know in the comments. I'll post the conclusion once some people weigh in.




Conclusion:

So I thought if I played Spades I'd likely only get 1 point, maybe 2.

If I played defense to Spades, I'd likely get 2 points. Lead both bowers and then Ace of Hearts. Even if the dealer has three spades, I should still get one of my aces home.

If I play Clubs, I've got a decent shot at taking them all. Lead both bowers, then Ace of Diamonds, Ace of Hearts, and then Jack of Diamonds. To prevent me from taking them all, an opponent would need to have three clubs or have multiple diamonds and hold on to the King or Queen. Either way, my partner can't really help me. So I decided to pass, and call Clubs Alone.

My Jack of Diamonds walked and I got four points.




2 comments:

  1. If you call trump, you're guaranteed two tricks, probably three, and possibly four.

    If you pass, and somebody calls trump on the spades, they're set.
    If you pass, and it comes back to you, you could call clubs, guaranteeing yourself two, almost definitely 3, probably 4, and possibly 5.
    If you pass, and it comes back to you, and you pass again, you could play defense great in black, and definitely take one in either red suit.

    Unless I've forgotten some of the rules/procedure, I would pass the first round, then call clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot about going it alone

    ReplyDelete