Saturday, January 09, 2016

22 Years In The Making

When the Chiefs hired Reid, I said if he wins a playoff game it's a success.

When Reid traded for Alex Smith, I said if he wins a playoff game it's a good deal.

- - -

I didn't want to run through all the history this week. I didn't want to think about the game two years ago. Because I couldn't shake the idea of Hopkins going wild for 180 and two scores. I couldn't shake Watt getting a strip sack and taking it the other way for six. This Texans team went 7-2 down the stretch with a QB carousel. It's as winnable as a playoff game as you'll ever get. But it's on the road. One play, a blocked punt, a fumble, could swing the game.

- - -

In 2003, the Chiefs went 13-3 and got the second seed. But were bounced in the "no-punt game" by Peyton. I watched that game at Brit's Parents house in O'Fallon. I cried as soon as it was over.

In 2006, the Chiefs squeaked into the playoffs based on everything going right in week 17. Trent Green was banged up and the Chiefs lost to the Colts again in a game they never had much of a chance of winning. I watched it at home, on our little TV in the downtown Chicago apartment.

In 2010, the Chiefs won the division. The season started on MNF, the opening of new Arrowhead and me doing a rain dance in Burnsy's apartment on Milwaukee. I went back there to see their season end at the hand of the Ravens. It was a beatdown.

In 2013, the Chiefs could have gotten a better playoff seed if it weren't for Peyton Manning. Instead they had to go on the road to Indy again. It was Brit's birthday so I actually missed the first half. I came home to this Highlands Ranch house and saw the Chiefs with a 28-point lead. And then saw it evaporate. I think it hurt less because I didn't see any of the good parts.

In 2015, I was optimistic coming into the season. I believed good things were coming. After one game I was talking about the Super Bowl. And then they lost their next 5. I thought the season was over. They'd need to win 9 of their last 10 to make the playoffs and who thinks a 1-5 team is about to do that? They won all 10. I watched the game in the Highlands Ranch house again. The boys and I were all wearing our Chiefs shirts. We stood for the national anthem. And then saw the opening kickoff get returned 106 yards. Holy crap.

- - -

I was still nervous at halftime. We had a 13-0 lead after getting a kickoff return and 3? turnovers. And they would get the ball to start. It could be 14-13 real quick. 

And then Maclin goes down. Which took a lot of wind out of my sails. Without Maclin, we're down to a puncher's chance in the 2nd round. But I'll worry about that later. For the first time, I've seen one of my teams advance in the playoffs. My first Chiefs playoff win. Andy Reid and Alex Smith, I won't ever forget this game. In fact, let's go down the line. 

Knile Davis with the opening touchdown. 
Eric Berry, the NFL Comeback Player of the Year and Man of the Year, First Team AP All-Pro (best in the league at his position), gets the first pick. 
Allen Bailey who drives his man back forcing a Hoyer fumble. 
Alex Smith and Travis Kelce with big pass plays. 
Cairo Santos hits two 49-yard field goals plus another one late. 
The whole defensive line for stopping a JJ Watt Wildcat.
Josh Mauga with a pick on the goalline. 
The whole offensive line who had multiple injury swaps and still gave protections and opened lanes. 
Marcus Peters who got another pick and never gave up a big pass play. 
Dustin Colquitt with great punts, pinning them deep. 
Chris Conley, the rookie WR, who stepped up after Maclin went down and got the first offensive TD.
Hussain Abdullah with a pass deflection.
Spencer Ware with a bunch of big runs including a rush TD.
Sean Smith joins the pick party. 

Basically, I just named the whole team. All phases, offense, defense, special teams, coaching combined for an outstanding performance. The offense was shaky the first half. But everything else was solid the whole way. That's how you beat a team 30-0 in the playoffs. 

- - - 

I was critical of the Alex Smith deal when I heard about it. This morning you would have said that Joe Montana was the last QB to win a playoff game for the Chiefs. But now the answer to that is Alex Smith. 

This morning this was reality: 




Now this is:


No comments:

Post a Comment