Friday, August 09, 2019

Hitman 2 Created Contract: Air Jordan

This video requires a bit of context. Hitman gives players the abilities to create custom contracts. I've created several and this one I titled "Air Jordan" because the target is Mike, a guy who sits on this beam 4 stories up. The target is very easy to kill, but the challenge is completing it with the silent assassin rating, and therefore getting the highest score.

To achieve silent assassin you must: 
  • Kill only targets (others can be knocked out)
  • Not be spotted, even by security cameras
  • Not have any bodies found (exceptions are accidents or poisonings)

Next to the mini-map, there is a green icon. Green = silent assassin. If they turn red, you've done something to lose silent assassin. 

As for this particular challenge, shooting him with a sniper rifle is quite simple, but his body will be found, either by the guards on his floor or by the guards on the ground when his body falls. 

My first thought when creating it was that I could knock out all the guards on the ground level and with a well-timed sniper shot, his body wouldn't be found. 

But I decided to first try to go up to the 4th floor. I started knocking out all the guards using distractions. It takes a little while and the container only fits two bodies, so I had a lot of guards stacked up. I finally got to Mike and realized unlike every other character, he wasn't interested in investigating sounds. As I was trying to figure that out, someone came up and found a bunch of bodies. I was 10 minutes in and lost my silent assassin rating. 

Then I checked the leaderboard. Someone completed it in 2:46 with silent assassin. 

So clearly I needed a new strategy. I didn't have time to clear out the guards. 

Here's what I did, with an explanation underneath:



I realized that if I could use the tranquilizer gun it counts as poisoning so when Mike's body is found, it doesn't break my rating.

I tried climbing out the window near the starting point to use the tranquilizer, but I wasn't close enough for the shot to get to him. And then I discovered with that method that either he fell off himself but it lost the rating, or he didn't fall and was only knocked out.

So I thought tranquilizer might not work at all. But then I tried it with dumping his body personally and it worked.

To get the guards to turn around, I tried pulling the fire alarm and it worked great. Except that they would discover the guard I was knocking out to get his disguise. It took me a few more runs to think of using the tranquilizer on the first guard so that even if he gets spotted, it doesn't count.

Even with the right disguise, there are a few guards with white dots over them that know who all the guards are and can see through disguises. So I had to avoid them and the camera on the way out.

I suppose it looks pretty simple once it's done, but it was a lot of trial and error to figure out how to do it.

And my time? 2:34. Good enough for first place currently, though it could easily be beaten. 




No comments:

Post a Comment