Sunday, August 09, 2020

My Playoff History with the Avs

I moved from Chicago to Denver nine years ago. Without ever having a hockey team but always loving the sport, the Avalanche were the one Colorado team I adopted. 

I bought a hat, starting blogging and went to my first game at the Pepsi Center in November 2011. 

This season (2019-20) is the 9th season for me of being an Avs fan. 


In the first six seasons, they only made one playoff appearance in 2013-2014. 

Game 1 of the series was probably the best game as an Avs fan that I've ever watched. It was also the first playoff game I've ever seen any of my teams win. 

In Game 5, the Avs had to put their balls on the table.

And then for Game 7, for the first time ever, Mrs. Hoagie Central went with me out to a sports bar so we could watch a game together with a crowd around us. And we got a Game 7 in overtime, just didn't go our way.


- - -

Now they've made it to the playoffs three seasons in a row. 


In the 2018 playoffs they were outmatched by the #1 seed Predators, but still produced some great moments. We got this radio call which is still incredible and this snippet from Hoagie Central:

"The fucking Wild are eliminated and have all offseason to do inventory of their zero Stanley Cups. And the Avs have another playoff game."


In the 2019 playoffs I finally got to see the Avs win a playoff series. Down a game, the Avs pulled their goalie in game 2, and ending up winning off a MacKinnon snipe in OT. Cale Makar makes his NHL debut in a playoff game and scores on his first shot.  

In round 2 against the Sharks, again I got to see the Avs in a Game 7 and again it ended poorly. It sure looked like they tied the game at 2-2 in the second period, but got jobbed.


So here we are, kicking off the 2020 playoffs. Just for fun, here are the conference seeds that I've seen the Avs have in the playoffs: 

2014: 2nd

2018: 8th

2019: 8th

2020: 2nd


This is as good as team as I've gotten to see. But of course, this is no normal season. There's no fans, no home ice, this Colorado-Arizona series will be played in Edmonton. And instead of a 2-seed facing a 7-seed, the Avs are facing the team with the 11th best record in the conference. 

(For future Dave, this was the Covid Cup where there were play-in series and round robins. Both the 12-seed and 11-seed teams made the playoffs.)

Love the first round matchup, love the talent on this team. The only X-factor is a million unknowns of how playoffs will go on neutral ice with no fans.

Last time there were the #2 seed in the West, they got beat in 7 by the Wild. So anything can happen. But at least we know the Wild can't beat us this year. 

(Because they're done. Plus, they're probably thirsty without any cups.)

No comments:

Post a Comment