Monday, May 31, 2021

Weight Loss by Month: May 2021

August – November 2020: 30 pounds 

January 2021: 7 pounds 
February 2021: 5 pounds 
March 2021: 4 pounds 
April 2021: 3 pounds
May 2021: 5 pounds

54 pounds down in 10 months. 

I think it's finally time to start using real numbers. 

- - -

On August 1, 2020 I was 240 pounds. The highest I've ever been. 

Today I am 186 pounds. The lowest I've been since June 2014. 

(I haven't been under 175 since 2009.)

In February, I went from 203 to 198. That was a big deal. This month I went from 191 to 186. Closing in on my college weight of 180. 

- - -

I've admitted many times in this space, a common sentiment: 

"Food makes me happy." -2010
"It's no secret that I derive great pleasure from food." - 2018

Back in 2007, when I first adopted healthy habits, I described it as "breaking my dependence on food" and "eating food as fuel, and not as pleasure."

But as I learned by watching Ted Lasso, every disadvantage has it's advantage. 

I used to view the idea that food makes me happy as a flaw or fault. I inherently connected food making me happy to unhealthy eating habits and being overweight and didn't see a way to untie that thread. 

But now I do. 

Food makes me happy. All I needed to do was to find a way to incorporate healthy choices, healthy habits into the equation. So I can still look forward to food. I can still try new recipes and snacks. Now my passion for food is an advantage. While I'm not about to enter any TV cooking competitions, I know how to make healthy food that I find delicious. 

Google says it can take anywhere from 18 to 254 days for a person to form a new habit and an average of 66 days for a new behavior to become automatic.

After ten months of eating like this, it's now true to say that healthy eating is important to me. 

- - - 

In two months, I'll post one-year before and after progress pictures. 

Keep stacking good months.™

No comments:

Post a Comment