Sunday, January 30, 2022

Daily Favorites: Chips & Dip


One of my absolute favorite football snacks is Ruffles and French Onion dip. At a Super Bowl party I can go through half a bag and half a tub of dip, no problem. 

Thing is neither part of the equation is healthy. So if I want to incorporate this into a healthy routine, like when my team is playing an important football game, for example, I need to make changes to both. 

The chips are a simple swap. These veggie chips include 38 chips for a 130 calorie serving, compared to 12 Ruffles for 160 calories. 

For dip, I'm turning to my #1 superstar ingredient, nonfat plain Chobani greek yogurt. 

I could have made a more complicated recipe by buying onion powder and adding other ingredients, but I found Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb. 

- - -

Dip Recipe

85g nonfat plain greek yogurt
mrs dash onion & herb
salt
pepper
(basil and oregano optional)


I made it quite oniony this time and I loved it. Was a little too strong for the boys. Next time I think I should add some basil and oregano to give more herbiness. Could also add a squeeze of lemon if I wanted to get fancy. 

But that amount of yogurt is only 45 calories and enough for the whole bowl of chips. So we're coming in at 175 calories for a pretty satisfying chips and dip snack. 

For the same amount of store bought dip, you're looking at 180 calories instead of 45. And the same amount of chips, I'd say about 400 calories. So without these swaps, chips and dip is 600 calories instead of 175.

No comments:

Post a Comment