Monday, February 26, 2024

Alkaline Trio: All The Way Back

I've been a fan of Alkaline Trio for 24 years now. They just released a new album and I've been listening to it non-stop. 

It's so good that it inspired me to make this chart, based on my subjective assessment. 


Now that tierlist isn't going to mean much to anyone that's not a fan already, but I do want to spell it out chronologically:

Goddamnit (1998) ★★★★★
Maybe I'll Catch Fire (2000) ★★★★½
Alkaline Trio (2000) ★★★★★
From Here to Infirmary (2001) ★★★★★
Good Mourning (2003) ★★★★½
Crimson (2005) ★★★★★
Agony & Irony (2008) ★★★★½
This Addiction (2010) ★★★
My Shame Is True (2013) ★★★
Is This Thing Cursed? (2018) ★★★½
Blood, Hair, and Eyeballs (2024) ★★★★★

All of their first seven albums to me are great (4.5 or 5 stars). 
Then their next three were all on a lower level, some good moments, but clearly not as good (3 or 3.5 stars). 

So for them to come out with this in 2024, I'm kinda blown away. 
Their first great album since 2008. Their first 5-star album since 2005. 


I'm not able to attend their 2024 tour and that's probably okay considering I'm 40. 

I also don't wear band shirts really anymore. To which Mrs. Hoagie Central said that's a good thing because I'm 40. To which I replied, what the hell does that mean

I watched some of the live show videos, I even made a playlist in Spotify to match their first show in Anaheim. 


And I've done enough listening that I think my 2024 Spotify Wrapped is already a wrap.

1 comment:

  1. Shoutout Burnsy for suggesting the 1/2 emoji since I was stumped after not finding a half-star emoji

    ReplyDelete