Monday, March 25, 2024

Bracket Mission: Pass Kirat

This year's bracket group is wide open because basically everyone picked a different champion. Even the people at the bottom could rise to the top if they get the champion correct. 

In fact, of the 11 eligible bracket entries, only 2 people have their Champion eliminated. 

Of those 9 remaining, we're covering 8 teams, half of the Sweet 16:
UConn, Purdue, Illinois, Houston, Arizona, Clemson, UNC and Tennessee.

Teams alive that no one picked to win it all:
Alabama, SDSU, Creighton, NC State, Duke, Marquette, Gonzaga, and Iowa State. 

So assuming that the Champion will be from the first list, that will take care of that. Whoever gets the Champion right, wins the contest. 

Except for one thing. 

Did you notice that I said of the 9 brackets remaining, we're covering 8 possible champions. 

Kirat and I both picked Houston to win it all. Which means if Houston wins it all (or at least is in the final game against a team from list B) I need to pass Kirat to win. 

He's currently 10 points ahead of me. So let's look at our differences. 

I have Illinois winning on Thursday. He has Iowa State. 40 points at stake that will be going to one of us. Either I'll be up 30 or down 50. 80-point swing.

I have Tennessee winning on Friday. He has Creighton. Another 80-point swing. 

Then in the Elite Eight round of games...we have the same winners advancing to the Final Four, except he has Purdue and I have Tennessee. If Creighton or Gonzaga win the Midwest region, then no points...but if is a Purdue-Tennessee regional final, then that's a 160-point swing between me and Kirat. 

And then in the Final Four weekend...I have UConn advancing to the title game and Kirat has Arizona. 160 points at stake in that game...and possible a 360-point swing if they're playing each other. 

That's it. Those are the 4 differences that remain. To pass Kirat, I'm rooting for Illinois, Tennessee, and UConn. 

And I'm rooting against, Iowa State, Creighton, Purdue and Arizona. 


1 comment:

  1. Of course, UConn would mean a big advantage to Kirat in Calcutta, so really you gotta discount that hope by a bit ;P

    ReplyDelete