Friday, September 22, 2006

Why I Married a Vegetarian

It has come up a few times talking to co-workers that I married a vegetarian. And their first response is always shock and confusion and pity. Apparently some people think it would be hard living with someone who doesn't eat meat. So I'm here to clear up any confusion. It's awesome.

1. I rely on sandwiches to bring to work daily (ham, turkey, pastrami, salami). Not once do I ever have to wake up and realize that someone ate all the salami. (Not the case for milk and cereal).

2. It's Sunday, and I'm settling in to watch some football. I go to the freezer and there is only one burger left...good thing I don't have to share it or split it with anyone.

3. When we go to restuarants I can try a bite of her pasta, but sharing is a one-way street. Straight into my mouth.

4. If we're at a party, she can put her quota of chicken appetizers on her plate, and bring them to me. That way I get twice as much chicken, without having to box out at the buffet table.

5. Meat is expensive. If she doesn't go to Fogo, I just saved $60. Or I can just go twice for the same price.

6. Crab Rangoon. 5 pieces. All for me.

So you get the idea. More meat for me. Sweet.

3 comments:

  1. Funny you mention crab rangoon...that's become my new favorite. That and sushi.

    I think another perk would be that you'd usually have vegetables on hand. If I'm cooking and there are vegetables around, I'll use them in whatever I'm making. But I don't often buy them, so I don't eat nearly as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite "columns" that you've written. But the key is that Taters is a cool vegetarian. She doesn't care that you eat meat.

    And yeah Burnsy, sushi is delicious. I love getting it over here, and there are tons of places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that's the best compliment i've gotten from you in a while. and funny too. i should read your blog more often. too bad i'm not hidden away in a cubicle all day.

    ReplyDelete