Sunday, April 22, 2007

4.22.07




So no one's asked me "What does eating foodasfuel™ look like on a daily basis?"

Here's a sample day:




Breakfast:
140 calorie - South Beach Diet protein bar
Granny Smith apple

Lunch:
Ham sandwich on whole-wheat bread
Granny Smith apple

Dinner:
This is where I get creative.

Here are some of the dishes I've made:

cilantro-lime rice, which can be
  • used in fajitas with chipotle chicken and whole-wheat tortillas
  • topped with honey-barbecued or garlic-lime shrimp
  • topped with general tso's shrimp or chicken

fresh chicken breasts can be
  • chopped and cooked in barbecue sauce
  • pan-fried with cornflake coating
  • turned into garlic parmesan chicken nuggets

from the frozen section:
  • turkey filets wrapped with bacon
  • frozen fried fish filets
  • italian chicken patty sandwich, topped with pasta sauce and mozzeralla, grilled in pan

potatoes can be
  • cooking spray hash browns
  • cooking spray pan fries
  • or just baked in the microwave, mashed with butter spray and garlic

whole-wheat pitas can be
  • chipotle-chicken with ranch, cheddar and lettuce
  • turkey with mashed avacado
  • a pizza crust for personal pizza


and last night I made a Hamburg Steak. This was something I heard a co-worker talking about, and decided to give it a try. I started with about 1/3 of a pound of 95% lean ground sirloin and heavily seasoned it, and then added 1 minced garlic clove and the same amount of minced onion. I then formed it into a rough steak shape, rubbed some olive oil on both sides seared it in a skillet. Normally I use cooking spray, but I wanted to get a nice browning crust on it. By the time the crust has really formed, the steak is done on the inside, and I covered it in A-1 steak sauce.

It was delicious. Of course it's just a glorified burger topped in steak sauce, but it worked without the bun. But I don't see any reason that you couldn't just make all your burgers like this, with the minced garlic and onion and pan-seared with olive oil. And you could top it with steak sauce or usual condiments. Anyways, it was a solid man meal that's healthy enough to eat once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment