Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How'd I do?

Here were my preseason, regular season picks: 4 of 8 division winners, 5 of 12 playoff teams.

Based on this sampling gathered at the Fanhouse, I'm good enough to have a blog or work for SI, but not good enough for ESPN or Field Gulls:

We Are the Postmen (two recent college graduates who also write for MLB FanHouse) -- 3 of 8 division winners, no playoff picks

Don Banks (SI.com NFL columnist) -- 3 of 8 division winners, 5 of 12 playoff teams

Football Outsiders (collection of statheads who use a system of unusual metrics to more efficiently and effectively analyze football) -- 3 of 8 division winners, 7 of 12 playoff teams

Bill Simmons (popular ESPN.com columnist, writing from a fan's perspective) -- 4 of 8 division winners, 6 of 12 playoff teams

Field Gulls (Analysis-heavy Seahawks blog cut from the Football Outsiders cloth ) -- 5 of 8 division winners, 8 of 12 playoff teams

- - -

But how did I do on the records?

Correct: Bills, Steelers, Chargers
Off by 1: Raiders, Redskins, Lions
Off by 2: Jags, Texans, Broncos, Chiefs, Cowboys, Eagles, Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Seahawks, Cardinals
Off by 3: Dolphins, Bengals, Browns, Colts, Falcons, Bucs
Off by 4: Pats, 49ers
Off by 5: Giants, Saints
Off by 6: Jets, Ravens, Titans, Rams
Off by 7: Packers

Summary: Eh. What you might expect.

- - -

Here were the teams that I had in the right position:

Pats (1st)
Dolphins (4th)
Bengals (3rd)
Colts (1st)
Jags (2nd)
Chargers (1st)
Broncos (2nd)
Chiefs (3rd)
Raiders (4th)
Cowboys (1st)
Redskins (3rd)
Lions (3rd)
Panthers (2nd)

So 13 of 32 teams I predicted where in the division they would be. I think that's good, but I have no idea. I did get the entire AFC West right, which I don't think is a coincidence.

- - -

In my playoff picks I did have the Pats beating the Chargers in the AFC title game, and I have the Pats winning it all. Could be two years in a row predicting the Super Bowl winner in the preseason.

No comments:

Post a Comment