Friday, February 01, 2008

XLII


Let's take a break from politics, and discuss something that really matters...the Super Bowl.

Since I have affiliations with neither team, I have to figure out who to root for. I'm generally not a big fan of "rooting for your conference"--mainly because the NFL doesn't have conference identities the way that that college sports, or even baseball has with American/National. In fact, I'm definitely for rooting against your division rivals, so that cuts down on the AFC teams I would root for anyways.

Of course, this year is a special year, what with the Patriots trying to become the 2nd best team ever, behind the 1972 Miami Dolphins (stat provided by the insufferable Mercury Morris).

If the Pats win, they cement their standing as the best single-season team in NFL history. (Side note: After reading this note, I'm instantly more forgiving about Spygate.) So the larger question here, is that something that NFL fans should want to see.

There are a couple things to look at.

The most pressing on my mind, is which douchebag would I love to shut up more? Mercury Morris and the rest of the 72 Fins, or Bill Simmons and the rest of the arrogant Massholes? After tossing and turning on this issue for 2 weeks, I've realized that Morris will never, ever shut up. However, Bill will be forced to eat crow, and live with the fact that he jinxed his team.
Edge: Giants

On the larger issue of perfection, I looked deep into myself, and knew that, even though everyone respects the 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's Niners, 90's Cowboys--I probably would have been rooting against them too. I 'm a Chiefs fan. And the only team that I want to see go undefeated is the red and gold. Now when the Chiefs go 19-0 in 2009 (Spoiler Alert!), it won't be as impressive.
Edge: Giants

And finally, when you never know who to root for, isn't it better to root for the underdog? Rooting for the Pats to win this game, is like rooting for Tom Brady to get laid. I'd much rather root for Eli to get some action. Everyone knows the Pats are going to win, so what's the fun in rooting for them?
Edge: Giants


Of course, it's all moot. The Patriots win in a game that's close in the first half (Pats 21 - 17), but close it out in a not so interesting fashion: Final: 38 - 23.

Who ya got?
Who are you rooting for and what's your prediction?

No comments:

Post a Comment